ACU GBA F0056
- 1909-1998, predominant 1923-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
41.38 m of textual records. -- 2.38 m of photographs (ca. 5500 photographs). -- 547 lantern slides. -- 9 film reels
Name of creator
The Alberta Wheat Pool, a voluntary cooperative organization, was incorporated in 1923 to create stability in the wheat market in response to a downward trend in wheat and farm prices in 1920-1923. Its first president was Henry Wise Wood. The pool, from its first office in Calgary, became one of the largest grain-handling cooperatives in Canada. Owned and controlled by its members, it operated country grain elevators across Alberta and northeast British Columbia. It handled approximately two-thirds of Alberta's grain exports. In addition to its original mandate of enabling farmers to bargain collectively with grain buyers, the AWP also provided grain services for members including storage and handling, grain merchandising, fertilizer and seed grain sales, farm equipment, financing, and agricultural research. It has also ensured farmers a voice in the formation of national grain-marketing policies and has been involved in the establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board. On November 1, 1998 the Wheat Pool merged with Manitoba Pool Elevators to form Agricore. In 2001 Agricore merged with United Grain Growers Ltd. to form Agricore United. In 2007 Agricore United was purchased by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool and the new company was rebranded to be known as Viterra. For further information see Tides in the West / Leonard D. Nesbitt. - Saskatoon : Modern Press, 1962.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gifts of Alberta Wheat Pool, 1961-1998, Agricore, 1999 and the Grain Academy, 2010.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- The fonds consists of bylaws (1923-1948); annual reports (1926-1999); Alberta Wheat Pool minutes (1923-1983); Alberta Pool Elevators minutes (1926-1979); minutes of annual meetings of delegates (1924-1997); reports to delegates (1928-1995); lists of members (1921-1981); policy manuals (1963-1998); legal agreements (1927-1964); general office files and files of Secretary R.O. German, containing correspondence, briefs, reports, etc.(1913-1957); financial statements (1923-1985); addresses (speeches) and articles (1929-1994); statistics (1923-1983); crop records (1936-1984); crop deliveries at country points (1932-1992); grain variety records (1971-1987); staff payroll ledgers (1923-1930, 1956-1974); elevator registers (1920s-1994); elevator histories (compiled in 1980s); newsletters (1927-1998); radio broadcasts copy (1942-1994); newsclippings (1923-1998); newspaper advertisements (1928-1989); growers' reserve accounts (1938, 1952); extensive photographs of grain elevators, Pool personalities, terminals, general agricultural scenes, and Master Farm families (1923-1993); lantern slides of prairie agricultural views (1927-1930); and films on AWP, Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, and western themes (nd, 1955, 1973).
- Includes records related to various subsidiaries (1960-1993), including Japan-Alberta Oil Mill Company, Alberta Food Products, ABL Engineering, Buffalo Beton Ltd., Tacoma Holdings, Alberta Pacific Grain Products Company, Green Leaf Farm Supply Ltd., Interior Feeds Ltd., NPN International Inc., and Pool Research Corporation.
- Also includes minutes of Canadian Cooperative Wheat Producers / Interprovincial Pool (1924-1974); Canadian Pool Agencies / Pool Insurance Company1928-1974); Victoria Elevator Ltd.(1952-1977); Pacific Elevators Ltd. (1935-1972); Calgary Wheat Pool Savings and Credit Union Ltd. (1955-1975); Alberta Wheat Pool Women's Association (1944-1982); and Wheat Kernels staff club (1945-1974).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material. https://glenbow.ucalgary.ca/finding-aid/alberta-wheat-pool-fonds/
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
NB 16-304 and ND 8-219 (Oliver photos) contain negatives for PA 898.
Place access points
Name access points
- Alberta Pool Elevators (Subject)
- Canadian Cooperative Wheat Producers (Subject)
- Interprovincial Pool (Subject)
- Canadian Pool Agencies (Subject)
- Pool Insurance Company (Subject)
- Victoria Elevator (Subject)
- Pacific Elevators (Subject)
- Calgary Wheat Pool Savings and Credit Union (Subject)
- Alberta Wheat Pool Women's Association (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Wednesday, October 17, 2018