Showing 34134 resultsAuthority record
103rd Regiment "Calgary Rifles"
- Corporate body
10th Battalion, Royal Grenadiers
The 10th Royals came into existence in 1861 under the Canadian Militia Act of 1855. It was a regiment of volunteer militia of working men from Toronto, and was led by Lieutenant-Colonel F.W. Cumberland. It served in the Fenian Raid of 1866, and after a number of variations in name was reorganized as the Royal Grenadiers in 1880. In 1881 it was renamed the 10th Battalion, Royal Grenadiers. It fought in the Riel Rebellion of 1885.
The 137th Battalion Association was established in Calgary, Alberta in 1920 to hold annual reunion dinners of former 137th Battalion members. These dinners continued regularly until 1956, then from 1958 to1960. In 1965 a group gathered to clean up and repair the field-stone Battalion numbers and later another reunion was held. In 1967 the group promoted the naming of a Calgary bridge after 137th Battalion Victoria Cross winner John G. Pattison and began the construction of a memorial in Glenmore Park that was dedicated in June 1968. The group's final reunion was in 1971. For further information see A Legacy of Courage : "Calgary's own" : 137th Overseas Battalion, C. E. F. / Fred Bagley & Dr. Harvey Daniel Duncan. -- Calgary : Plug Street Books, 1993.
137th Canadian Infantry Battalion
This photo album was compiled during the First World War by an unidentified member of the 137th Battalion from Calgary, Alberta. The battalion was organized December 22, 1915 and was absorbed by the 21st Reserve Battalion to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. It was disbanded on September 15, 1920.