Fonds F0074 - Ronald Staughton fonds
- 1946-1979 (predominant 1960-1974) (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 art print
Name of creator
Ronald A. Staughton was born in Plymouth, Devon, England in 1923. At the start of World War II, Staughton worked as a draughtsman at the Royal Engineers Works Services, and later applied as a Probationer at the Royal Institute of British Architects. After serving in the Royal Air Force as an RDF operator (Range & Direction Finding, later Radar), Staughton continued his architectural training at The Regent Street Polytechnic with courses and examinations set by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). He graduated in 1953, and moved to Canada in 1954.
Staughton worked for various firms in Toronto including Page and Steele (1954-1955) and Allward and Gouinlock (1955-1956) before moving to the Ontario Hydro Electric Power Commission (1956-1964). He was in charge of architectural work on the Nuclear Power Demonstrator at Des Joachims, radiation shielding and hazard sequence planning, and was engaged in architectural projects including generating stations, schools and housing for townsites, and building in connection with the re-location of the St. Lawrence Seaway. After working for Dunlop, Wardell, Matsui and Aitkin (1964-1967), Staughton became principal of his own practice, R.A. Staughton, Architect (Mississauga) from 1967-1980. Staughton designed schools, shopping centres, offices, banks, motels, health clubs, and apartments.
Staughton moved to Calgary, Alberta in 1980 where he worked as Senior Architect for Balbi Dorosz Architects, and later for the Boga Group.