Leon Louis Plotkins, 1895-1974, was born in Paris, France and came to Calgary, Alberta about 1934. He worked for many years as the manager of Lion Oil Refining Company, and was heavily involved in oil industry investments, especially in the Leduc field. He also established several other businesses including Master Craft Homes, Premier Land Development Company and Copityper of Canada. He was a major landowner in Forest Lawn when it became part of the City of Calgary in the mid-1960s, a development that precipitated legal proceedings on the part of Plotkins against the City. He was an active member of the French Association in Calgary, Catholic charities and the Knights of Columbus. Plotkins married Gertrude Nadeau of New Brunswick and they had nine children, Leon Joseph, 1923- , Philip Joseph Albert, 1926-1952, Robert, Pierre, Marie, Lucille, Suzanne, Annette and Evangeline.