ACU GBA F0387
- 1910-1965, predominant 1962-1963 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.5 cm of textual records. -- 19 architectural plans
Name of creator
Andrew Carnegie provided the funds for the first Calgary Public Library, which was planned by Messrs McLean & Wright of Boston, and built in 1912. It was located at 12th Avenue and 2nd Street SW, Calgary, Alberta and was also known as the Memorial Park Library. The first librarian was Alexander Calhoun. In 1963 a new Central Library, designed by Stevenson, Raines, Barrett, Hutton, Seton & Partners, Architects was opened at 2nd Street and 7th Avenue SE. From 1965 to 1976 the Memorial Park building was used as the Glenbow Historical Library and Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gift of Stevenson, Railes, Barrett, Hutton, Seton & Partners, Architects, 1973.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of grand opening program, invitations and leaflet with plans of the Central Library (1963), seven plans of the Central Library (1962), and twelve plans of the Memorial Park Library (ca. 1910-1912).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
No finding aid.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Memorial Park Library (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Wednesday, October 24, 2018