Archives and Special Collections
Fonds F0003 - Beatson Finlayson fonds
CA ACU CAA F0003
Beatson Finlayson fonds
- 1957-1981 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
31.03 m of textual records
31.03 m of textual records
Name of creator
The firm of Beatson Finlayson and Partners was established in 1957 by Gilbert Beatson under the name Gilbert R. Beatson Architect (Calgary). In 1971, after various partnership changes, it became known as Beatson Finlayson and Partners (Calgary). The principal of the firm, Gilbert Beatson, was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1927. He received his B.Arch. from the University of Manitoba in 1950, then proceeded to do graduate work at the Sorbonne (Paris) in 1952. After working for Lloyd Finch Architects (Winnipeg, 1952-55) he became Chief Architect, Western Region for the Canadian Pacific Railway (1955- 56). Arthur J. Finlayson was born in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1938. He received his B.Sc. from the University of Manitoba (1963) and his B.Arch. from the University of Montana (1964). Prior to joining the firm in 1969, he worked for J.H. Cook and Associates (1964-67) and Rule Wynn Hames and Partners (1967-69). He became partner in 1974. Alastair J. Howatt was born in Scotland in 1941 and received his Dip.Arch. from the Edinburgh College of Art in 1965. He received his M.Sc. in Urban and Regional Planning from the University of Toronto (1967). Before joining Beatson Finlayson in 1975, he worked for University Planning, Architecture and Consulting Engineers Ltd. (a joint venture of John B. Parkin, Gordon S. Adamson, and Shore and Moffat, 1966) and A. Dale and Associates (Calgary, 1967-75). Renato Y. Arcega was born in Manila, Philippines in 1937. He received his B.Arch. from the Mapua Institute of Technology (Manila) in 1961. He has worked for Hexagon Associated Architects (Manila, 1958-61), Rebar Building Incorporated (Rizal, 1961-64), in private practice (Manila, 1964-66), J.H. Cook and Associates (Calgary, 1966), and Cohos Delasalle and Evamy (Calgary, 1966-67), finally joining Beatson Finlayson and Partner in 1967.
Acquired by donation in 1982 and 1983.
Beatson Finlayson and Partners (Firm)
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of drawings, display items, specifications, correspondence, and office files from the architectural practice of Beatson Finlayson and Partners, 1957-1981. Significant projects include: McPherson Park Swimming Pool, Burnaby, BC; Jasper Place Sport Centre; Red Deer Recreation Park, Red Deer, AB; Inuvik Corporation Housing, N.W.T.; Western Canada Pavilion, Expo '67; Selkirk Civic Centre, MAN.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Further accruals expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Includes record nos: 121A/82.06, 155A/83.10
Title based on contents of fonds.