CA ACU GBA F0068
- 1958-1980, predominant 1971-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
55 cm of textual records
Name of creator
The Alexandra Hotel opened in 1911 with J.E. Stevens as proprietor and H.L. Stevens as manager. The six-storey building contained 140 guest rooms and was located at 224-9th Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta. It was one of three first-class hotels built in the city that year which overshadowed anything built previously. The hotel represented the latest in hotel architecture and was one of the largest and most modern between Winnipeg and Vancouver. However, this distinction soon went to the Palliser Hotel, opened in 1914. The Alexandra saw a succession of owners and was finally purchased and operated by the Laschuk family in 1960. The building was bought by the City of Calgary in 1980 and demolished to make way for the Calgary Centre for the Performing Arts.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gift of City of Calgary, Land Department, Property Management Division and Harry Sanders, 1980-1987.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of insurance records, correspondence, employment records, cash sheets, registers, and poster primarily of the hotel's last ten years of operation. Includes some personal papers of the Laschuk family.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
No finding aid.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
M 6630 and M 7785 should be added to M 5857.