The Young Women's Christian Association of Calgary, Alberta was formed in 1907 by a group of prominent local women who were concerned about the lack of suitable and reasonable accommodation for single young women entering the city. The women, who included Mrs. John McDougall, Mrs. George Kerby, Mrs. G.S. Jamieson and the association's first president, Mrs. Thomas Underwood, immediately started fund raising, and in 1908 opened the first YWCA residence in the city. In addition to providing reasonable accommodation for women, the YWCA has been involved in many other projects over the years including summer camps, cooperative housing for unwed mothers, physical education for women, traveller's aid, female unemployment and cooperative work with other local social service agencies. The YWCA hosts an annual women's awards banquet.
For further information see Creating Cornerstones : A History of the YWCA of Calgary / Antonella Fanella and Pernille Jakobsen. -- Calgary : YWCA of Calgary, 2011.