University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Fonds F1977 - Young Men's Christian Association (Calgary) fonds

Identity area

Reference code

ACU GBA F1977

Title

Young Men's Christian Association (Calgary) fonds

Date(s)

  • 1905-2009, predominant 1905-1996 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

28 m of textual records. -- ca. 600 photographs. -- 16 video cassettes. -- 10 audio cassettes. -- 5 film reels. -- 1 audio reel

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Young Men's Christian Association was founded in 1844 in London, England as a support group for young men who migrated to the city in search of work. A "provisional" YMCA was established in Calgary in 1890 with a variety of programs in operation over the following years. The Calgary association was organized more formally in 1902, with rooms, classes, and a public reading room for young men and boys. The Calgary Y was incorporated in 1905. In 1909 it moved into its first permanent building. In 1952 the Youth Memorial Building was opened and in 1963 the North and South Branches were established. Women were not accepted as members until 1980. Due to the growth of the city and the increased demand for sports and fitness facilities, YMCA Calgary embarked upon a major capital development campaign entitled The Winning Spirit, which allowed for the construction of the Eau Claire YMCA and the renovation of the North Family, South Family and Rocky Mountain (later Camp Chief Hector) branches. The North Family branch closed in 1997 and was replaced by the newly constructed Crowfoot YMCA. The Shawnessy YMCA opened in 2002, and the South Family branch closed in 2010. The organization has evolved away from its earlier focus on evangelism and relief work towards its current role as a facility for physical fitness and family activities, a shift which garnered criticism in the late 1980s, given the YMCA’s simultaneous status as a non-profit and ability to offer elite fitness services.

Repository

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Gift of YMCA, 1970-2009.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The fonds consists of constitution and bylaws (1905-2002), minutes (1905-1999), annual reports (1920-1999), Pat O'brien's files (1980-1990), Wayne Perkins' files (1968-1996), publications, newsletters, newsclippings, scrapbooks, marketing documents, membership rosters, branches and branch activity documents, fundraising and capital development campaigns, financial reports, staff and personnel documents, correspondence and subject files, affiliate organizations, photographs of members and activities, and promotional films and radio broadcast.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

The material is in English.

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material. https://glenbow.ucalgary.ca/finding-aid/young-mens-christian-association-calgary-fonds/

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Title based on contents of records.

Note

There are copy negatives in NA 2193.

Note

Accession 3567p (PD 177) was probably loaned back to the YMCA, and when returned was accessioned as 5125p (PD 247). There is, therefore, only one album.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area