Fonds F0062 - William Grierson fonds
- 1960-1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
25 digital photoprints : colour
Name of creator
William (Bill) Grierson was born 24 July 1923 in St. Catharines, Ontario. He grew up in Toronto and attended the North Toronto Collegiate Institute from 1936-1941. Grierson served in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals during World War II, running communications lines throughout southern Ontario. He contracted pneumonia which prevented him from serving overseas.
In 1945, Grierson enrolled in the Ontario College of Art, later transferring to the University of Toronto School of Architecture. He spent his summers working at the Vancouver firm of Gardiner Thornton and Partners. Grierson graduated in 1950 and began work at John B. Parkin Associations in Toronto (later Parkin Architects Limited). In 1958, Grierson and Howard Walker formed their own firm of Grierson & Walker Architects.
In 1962 Grierson became a partner in The Architect's Partnership, which became Banz, Brook, Carruthers, Grierson & Shaw Architects (1962-1964); then Banz Brook Carruthers Grierson Shaw Architects (1964-1969); and later Brook Carruthers Grierson Shaw Architects (1969-1974). Grierson also started teaching at the University of Toronto School of Architecture during 1970 and continued until 1983.
In 1975 Grierson left the partnership and founded his own private practice of William G. Grierson Architect, Inc. He won several awards for his buildings including: an Illuminating Engineering Society of North America Lighting Design (1978): the Urban Design Awards Office Building Award of Excellence in 1980 for the Northwood Pulp and Timber Office in Prince George, BC; an Ontario Renews Award for achievement in the category of Non-residential to Residential Renovation in 1984 for the coach house at 78 Lowther Avenue in Toronto; and a Letter of Commendation from Heritage Toronto for alterations to 110 Inglewood Drive in Toronto (1989).
Grierson designed and renovated houses in the Toronto area, and also built several cottages in the Georgian Bay, among them Monument Channel, Little Bear Lake, Table Rock, and Jacklin Island for the Munk family. Ferguson Cottage in Haliburton, Ontario was a Massey Selection in 1970. His industrial and office designs included the Imperial Oil Service Centre, Highway 400, in Maple, Ontario that was a Massey Selection in 1967, and an Ontario Association of Architects, Tourist Industry Design Award.
Grierson died in Toronto in 2001.