Archives and Special Collections
Fonds F0197 - William Berry family fonds
ACU GBA F0197
William Berry family fonds
- 1856-1964, predominant 1909-1964 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 m of textual records. -- 100 photographs
Name of creator
In 1885, William Berry, ?-1901, and his wife Emma Rachel Barfoot, left Chatham, Ontario, and settled in Chipman Creek, Alberta, where their sons, Sam, 1862-?, and George Thomas, 1865-1937, had set up a homestead in 1884. The family established a cattle ranch and dairy and later a hardware store called William Berry and Sons Hardware. In 1893 George married Ada Ann Gill, 1874-1934. The couple homesteaded near Yarrow Creek where George also was postmaster from 1895 to 1899. They had three children, Herbert George, 1894-1917, Ada Gladys, 1896-mid 1960s, and Hugh Wallace, 1898-?. The Chipman Creek ranch was sold in 1899, and the hardware store in 1901. George and his family moved to Victoria and then placed the children in Toronto boarding schools and travelled for a number of years. In 1911 they returned to Alberta and established the Strathmore Hardware Co., selling it in 1921 and moving to a farm near Strathmore. Ada was involved with the Strathmore Sorosis Society and George was on the town council. Herbert attended Upper Canada College and university in Detroit, Michigan, USA and Toronto. He died serving with an ambulance corps at Ypres-Passchendaele during First World War. Ada Gladys attended Havergale Ladies College and married Captain Philip Harold Morgan, a Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) engineer, in 1919. Herbert William, 1921-?, was their only child. The couple divorced in 1925 and A. Gladys and H. William remained in Strathmore. Hugh attended Upper Canada College and the University of Idaho. He returned to the Strathmore farm in 1921. He was active in the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta, the Gleichen Conservative Constituency Association, the Oat Huller Coop, and the Wheatland Weather Modification Association. He also invested in gold mines including the Chinook Yellowknife Gold Syndicate.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gifts of H. William Morgan, Hugh Berry, and Jennifer Peddlesden, 1980-2017.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- The fonds consists of George's correspondence, receipts, legal records, and insurance policies; Ada's correspondence with her children, her short stories and poems; George and Ada's family photographs (1901-1916); Herbert's school work books, notes, exams, military certificates,notebooks and photographs (primarily of Canadian military hospital on Lemnos); Hugh's farm correspondence, receipts, legal records, school reports, political material, and postcards; A. Gladys' correspondence, receipts, and legal records; P. Harold Morgan's insurance policies and irrigation and farm prices notebook; and H. William's contest entries. Includes correspondence, account books and sales agreement of the Strathmore Hardware Co. (1911-1924); Strathmore Sorosis Society minutes and correspondence (1934); Gleichen Conservative Constituency Association minute book (1958-1962); Oat Huller Coop agreements and receipts (1943-1945); Chinook Yellowknife Gold Syndicate agreements, minutes, correspondence and receipts (1946-1948); and Wheatland Weather Modification Association minutes and agreement (1962). Also includes one file of Henry Guy Stanger Cole's legal papers (1914).
- RECORDS RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS ARE ALSO IN THIS FONDS. SEE INVENTORY FOR DETAILS: Alberta Associated Oil Fields Ltd., Alberta Hail Suppression Association, Alberta Steam Laundry Co., R.B. Bennett, Bow River Conservative Association, Crowfoot High Spirits Club, Arthur Dowse, Richard Garnett, George H. Gooderham, Heppner brothers, Spence Hughes, Lakeside Collieries, Isobel McNaughton, Pembina Coal Co., Pincher Creek Club, E.W. Pust, Frederic Remington, Victor Sifton, Strathmore Agricultural Society, Frank E. Sugden, Cecil Townshend, Joseph Van Tighem, Jack Waddy, and Eldon Woolliams.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material. https://glenbow.ucalgary.ca/finding-aid/william-berry-family-fonds/
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
NA 4139 is copied from M 5756.
Place access points
Name access points
- Berry, George (Subject)
- Berry, Ada (Subject)
- Berry, Herbert (Subject)
- Berry, William (Subject)
- Morgan, Gladys (Subject)
- Morgan, Harold (Subject)
- Morgan, William (Subject)
- Strathmore Hardware Company (Subject)
- Strathmore Sorosis Society (Subject)
- Gleichen Conservative Constituency Association (Subject)
- Wheatland Weather Modification Association (Subject)
- Chinook Yellowknife Gold Syndicate (Subject)
- Oat Huller Coop (Subject)
- Berry, Hugh (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Wednesday, May 31, 2017