University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Collection C0009 - University of Calgary (1912-1915) collection.

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

CA ACU ARC C0009

Title

University of Calgary (1912-1915) collection.

Date(s)

  • 1910-1915 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

20 cm of textual records and photographic material, 3 slides, 1 photograph, and 1 negative.

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1910, a number of Calgary business owners and the municipal government began a movement to establish a private university in Calgary. By October 1912, classes had begun in what was optimistically called the University of Calgary. Classes were held in the Public Library under the Faculties of Arts and Law with a staff of four professors, 24 regular students and 101 part-time students (those taking one class or more). The members of the Board of Governors were: Thomas Henry Blow (Chair), W.J. Tregillus (Secretary), J.S. Dennis, James Short, William Georgeson, H.W. Riley and R.B. Bennett. The first faculty members were Dean Edward E. Braithwaite, Professor F.H. MacDougall (Chemistry and Mathematics), Professor Mack Eastman (History and Politics) and Professor F.C. Ward. Funding for the University came from private donations and donations of land and money from members of the Board: W.J. Tregillis donated 160 acres in the Rosscarrock Subdivision on the Old Banff Coach Road; T.H. Blow donated additional monies and the City set aside 50,000. An architectural plan for the proposed site was drawn up by Mr. Dunnington-Grubbs, one of Canada's foremost landscape architects.

The University applied three times (1911, 1913 and 1915) for the right to be given degree-granting powers but was turned down all three times. Reasons cited were the financial burden for the province to sustain two Universities and a fear of the "evils of competition and rivalry". Since University powers were with-held, by 1915 the official name of the University had become Calgary College, although it was still known locally as the University of Calgary. Calgary College closed in 1915 due to the collapse of the real estate boom, continuing squabbles with the province and the beginning of the First World War.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Fonds consists of "An Act Respecting the University of Calgary", a report of the commission appointed to consider degree-granting powers, annual calendars, a copy of the architectural plan of university, an invitation to closing ceremonies (1913), a newsclipping, and preliminary announcement containing artist's rendering of proposed university layout.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Administrative records are restricted for a period of 15 years as authorized under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

English

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

See also The University of Calgary History collection

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

ckey

2991378

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Request archival material »

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places