CA ACU ARC F0263
- 1947-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
17.6 m of textual records and other material including 61 cm of sound recordings, 17 cm of graphic material, and 3 computer disks.
47 audio recordings:
5 audiotape cassettes
42 ¼-inch tapes
Name of creator
The University Libraries are built on the holdings of the library of the Calgary Normal School which became the Calgary Branch Library of the University of Alberta in 1945. The Branch Library had its own branch librarian but the U of A's Chief Librarian was responsible for its administration and was advised by the GFC Library Committee. In 1960, it ceased to be a branch of the University Library in Edmonton and was responsible for its own budget, but was still under the supervision of the Chief Librarian in Edmonton until 1963. In 1964, the University of Alberta in Calgary gained autonomy in academic matters, and a Chief Librarian was appointed who apparently reported to the VP (Academic). The Chief Librarian was responsible for developing and promoting the provision of library facilities to support the academic programs and research requirements of all members of the University; and acted as the President's chief advisor in matters relating to the Library.
The Department of Library Services became part of the Division of Information Services (under the VP (Academic)) in 1971. The GFC Library Committee assumed full responsibility for policy matters while the Chief Librarian was responsible for their administration. In 1974 the Division of Information Services was dismantled and the Chief Librarian began reporting directly to the VP (Academic). The official title (according to statute) remained Chief Librarian but in 1979 the position became known as Director of Libraries. In 1988, the reporting relationship was transferred from the VP (Academic) to the Director of Information Services, head of the newly-formed Information Services, who reported to the VP (Academic) and Provost. By 1992, the Director of Libraries' title had been changed to Director, University Libraries and in 1997, the title reverted back to Director of Libraries.
In 2000, Information Services split to form the Learning Commons, Information Technologies (IT), and Information Resources (IR). The head of IR was responsible for the University Library, amongst other units, and took on the dual titles of Director of Information Resources and Director of Libraries. In 2006, the title Director of Information Resources was relabeled Vice-Provost (Libraries and Cultural Resources) and University Librarian.
By 2015, there were eight university libraries operated by Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR) on campus and across the city: the Taylor Family Digital Library, Doucette Library, Bennett Jones Law Library, Business Library, Gallagher Library, Health Sciences Library, Downtown Campus Library and the Library and Archives at The Military Museums. In addition, LCR also operated an off-campus High Density Storage Facility.
M. Isobel Grant, Calgary Normal School librarian since 1941, became Calgary Branch librarian in 1945 and served until 1957. Subsequent incumbents were Dorothy E. Ryder (Calgary Branch librarian, 1957-1964), Thomas MacCallum Walker (Chief Librarian, 1964-1971), Kenneth MacLean Glazier (Chief Librarian, 1971-1978), William R. Converse (Acting Chief Librarian, 1978-1979), Alan H. MacDonald (Director of Libraries, 1979-1992), Tom Eadie (Director, University Libraries, 1992-1997), Yvonne Hinks, (Acting Director of Libraries 1997-1998), Frits Pannekoek, (Director of Libraries, 1998-2000; Director of Information Resources, 2000-2005), Ann Davis (Acting Director of Information Resources, 2005-2006), Thomas Hickerson (Director of Information Resources, 2006; Vice-Provost (Libraries and Cultural Resources) and University Librarian, 2006-).
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of administrative records of the Office of the Chief Librarian/Director of University Libraries (1947-1990) including correspondence, acquisition files, administrative day files, financial records, programme development files, library statistics, Library Committee and Library Council memos and minutes, policy and procedure files, and Dorothy Ryder's scrapbook containing annual reports, correspondence and photos (1957-1965); Information Centre audio-visual records (1968-1974); Library Administration records including complaint and incidence files (1983-1988), correspondence on the DOBIS system (1979-1985), minutes of the Faculty of Medicine Library Committee (1969-1979) and minutes of the Support Staff Council (Library) Committee (1979-1987); Special Collections files on collections either transferred elswhere or not acquired (1971-1988); Reserve Services annual reports (1973-1990); correspondence and minutes of Reference Services Coordinating group (1981-1986); Committee on Overseas Libraries Support minutes, correspondence and files from various overseas libraries that books were donated to (1983-?); Library Council minutes (1987-1990); recording of a Library Council retreat (1986); Library Task Force on Theses correspondence and lists of theses sent to National Library (1979); recordings of Special Meetings of the Department Heads (1970); papers relating to the Committee of Inquiry into Non-Canadian Influence in Alberta Post-Secondary Education; and Alberta Heritage Library Fund Advisory Committee minutes and accompanying documents (1979-1981). Includes staff newsletter, Cullings (1968-1973); and commemorative pamphlet (1973) and annual reports from Circulation Services (1987-1991). Also consists of Library Administration records (1969-1996). Fonds includes series for Pamphlets; Dobisline; Library Factsheet; Newsline; Quick Ref; University of Calgary Library Newsletter; UAC Library News Bulletin; Newsletter of the Fine Arts Division of the Library; The Library, University of Alberta at Calgary, Annual Report; Annual Report, Chief Librarian; and Annual Reports, University Library Circulation Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Administrative records are restricted for a period of 15 years as authorized under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes