United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners. Local 1779

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners. Local 1779

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America was established in the USA in 1881 and adopted its present name in 1888. Local 1779 was chartered by the UBCJ and organized in 1904 to serve carpenters in Calgary. The objectives of the UBCJ are to increase membership within its trade jurisdiction, maintain job security, increase wages, improve work hours as well as conditions, and to maintain high trade standards through apprenticeship training. In later years the local provided its members with health and welfare benefits and instituted a Ladies Auxiliary Club to sponsor and organize social events.

By 1952, Local 1779 was the largest single union local in Alberta and between 1951 and 1952 its staff was enlarged and reorganized to maintain the office and increase membership. Its membership reached 1,300 in 1954. In the same year the local became affiliated with the District Council of Carpenters, which also incorporated Local 2508 (Millworkers), Local 2103 (Carpenters) and Local 2560 (Floorlayers). Local 1779 merged with Local 2103 in 1985.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes