The Tourism Industry Association of Alberta (TIAALTA) was incorporated on January 18, 1955 as the Canadian Rockies Tourist Association. The name was changed to the Alberta Tourist Association in the 1960s. In 1971 the name was changed to the Travel Industry Association of Alberta, and some time later to the Tourism Industry Association. The association represented the private sector and member tourism organizations in the development of tourism in Alberta. Funding was obtained by way of grants from the Government of Alberta and through membership fees and dues. The association undertook a wide range of programs throughout its history including the SMILE and Team Tourism campaigns. At its meeting of February 10, 1995, the association agreed to donate its records to Glenbow Archives. The association was wound up on March 31, 1996 and many of its staff and programs were transferred to the Alberta Tourism Partnership Corporation.