ACU GBA F1571
- 1910-1969 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.18 m of textual records. -- 54 architectural plans. -- 25 photographs
Name of creator
The International Milling Company was founded by F.A. Bean in Minnesota, USA in 1892. It first moved into Canada in 1908, with the purchase of a Moose Jaw mill. In 1912, IMC bought out the Calgary Milling Company in Calgary, Alberta and renamed it Robin Hood Mills Ltd. (Calgary). The parent company systematically expanded throughout Canada, and by 1940, had warehouse and dock facilities in both Vancouver, British Columbia and Fort William, Ontario, mills in Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta, as well as farm land in Saskatchewan managed by its subsidiary F.A. Bean Farms Ltd. In 1938, the name of the Canadian operations was changed from Robin Hood Mills Ltd. to Robin Hood Flour Mills Ltd. In 1942, the Calgary mill had a capacity of 2000 barrels a day and elevator storage for over one million bushels. It was closed in 1969 due to financial problems of the parent company. The mill was used as a storage warehouse until the buildings and site were donated to the City of Calgary in 1971.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gifts of Robin Hood Multifoods Ltd. and Mr. M.N. Herrington, 1969-1992.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of business correspondence, financial records, legal agreements and contracts, mill workbooks, flour inventories, photographs of the mill, and architectural plans of warehouses, mills, grain elevators and railway sidings. Includes minute book and stock certificate book of F.A. Bean Farms Ltd. (1916-1956), and Calgary Milling Company cookbook (1910).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material. https://glenbow.ucalgary.ca/finding-aid/robin-hood-flour-mills-ltd-calgary-fonds/
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
M 6546 was transferred to us in 1983. Goodness knows when it was originally acquired.
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Friday, January 23, 2015