The Calgary Naturalists' Club was formed by Mary Barclay in 1949 with Prof. W. Ray Salt as advisor. Its aims were to enjoy and help young people enjoy nature, and to establish a natural history park in Calgary. Members were involved in plant study, bird watching and star study. The Club folded in 1955-1956 due to dwindling membership. Margaret Cope, a former member of the Club, formed the Calgary Bird Club in December 1955 and became its first secretary. T
he Calgary Bird Club's aims were: to instigate scientific research into birds to assist the Edmonton Bird Club in securing protective legislation for hawks and owls in Alberta; to make a spring migratory check; to make nesting records of species in the foothills region; and to further interest in bird study. The Calgary Bird Club was incorporated in 1960, and its name changed to the Calgary Field Naturalists' Society in 1969 to reflect the organization's growing interest in botany and environmental issues.
In 2004 the organization changed its name to Nature Calgary.