- 1903-1926 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
42 cm of textual records.
Name of creator
Massey-Harris Company was formed in 1891 when two pioneer Canadian farm machinery companies, the Massey Company of Toronto and the Harris company of Brantford merged. The new company's headquarters were in Toronto. The company became the largest manufacturer of harvesting machinery in Canada, and it expanded into western Canada. Branches were established in Calgary, Alberta in 1903, Regina in 1904 and Saskatoon in 1908. In addition to these main distribution centres, smaller agencies were set up at hundreds of locations across the prairies.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gifts of J.A. Campbell and Bill Quinn, 1968, 1970.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence, plans, specifications, tenders, and legal agreements pertaining to the construction of warehouses in Bawlf, Calgary, Camrose, Cardston, Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, Granum, Innisfail, Lavoy, Leavings, Leduc, Lethbridge, Magrath, Nanton, Olds, Raymond, Red Deer, Sedgewick, Stettler, Vegreville and Wainwright (1903-1913); and circulars from the Calgary office to agents (1924-1926).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
M 2416 and M 6818 should be amalgamated with M 1433.
NA 2120 is a copy of PA 1167.