Print preview Close

Showing 1 results

Archival description
John Cawston fonds
Print preview View:

John Cawston fonds

  • CA ACU CAA F0019
  • Fonds
  • 1946-1967

The collection consists of drawings entirely on 35mm microform, either as aperture cards or microfilm. There are no office files, correspondence, or other records.

Fonds consists of aperture cards and microfilm of drawings from the architectural practice of J.A. Cawston Associates, 1946- 1967. Significant projects include: Barron Building, Calgary; Brown Building; Chinook Shopping Centre, Calgary; Glenmore, CrossBow and Fort Macleod hospitals; several Greyhound terminals in Southern Alberta.

Although the originals of this collection no longer exist, original drawings by Cawston are found in the collection of Hugh W.R. McMillan, the Stevenson Raines fonds, and in the Anglican Diocese of Calgary architectural papers.

Most projects cover the sixteen years of Cawston's independent practice, although some stem fron the time of his partnership with Stevenson. They represent every type of community work, e.g. administrative, industrial, health and welfare buildings, as well as private residential and hotels, motels, and apartment buildings.

Cawston, John Alexander