Fonds F0230 - Faculty of Science fonds.
- 1953-2013 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Calgary Branch of the University of Alberta started offering arts and science courses in 1945. In 1951, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was opened in Calgary, offering the first year of a BA or BSc degree. The second year of a BA or BSc was offered starting in 1959 and full degrees in 1960. The Faculty of Science was established in 1976 after the division of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences into the Faculties of Humanities, Science, Social Sciences, and the University College.
The Faculty of Science is governed by the Faculty of Science Council which determines policies for curriculum, standards, enrollments and administrative procedures. The Executive Council is the screening committee for the preparation of all material that is considered by the Faculty of Science Council.
The Faculty includes the Departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Sciences, Geoscience, Mathematics & Statistics, and Physics & Astronomy.
Deans of the Faculty of Science: N.R. Parsons, 1976-1978; T.A. Oliver, 1978-1984; D.A. Armstrong, 1984-1989; E.J.M. Kendall, 1989-1997; P.M. Boorman, 1997-2005; S. Murphree, 2005-2010; K. Barker, 2010-2015; L. Rigg, 2015-.