University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Fonds F0220 - Faculty of Arts and Science fonds.

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

CA ACU ARC F0220

Title

Faculty of Arts and Science fonds.

Date(s)

  • 1961-1978 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

54 cm of textual records

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The University of Alberta Faculty of Arts and Sciences opened a branch in Calgary in 1951 and offered the first year of a BA or BSc degree. This event added to the U of A's presence in Calgary: Calgary Normal School had become a Calgary branch of the U of A's Faculty of Education in 1945 and offered Arts and Science courses. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences offered a second year of a BA or BSc in 1959 and full degrees in 1960.

Indicative of the growing autonomy of the University of Alberta, Calgary, the Faculty gained its own dean in 1955. Until ca.1968, degrees offered by the Faculty were of three years in duration. In 1969, the General Faculties Council approved the addition of a four-year program.

In October, 1970 the Advisory Committee on Teaching Evaluation (or Baker Committee) was established by the Striking Committee of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences to recommend to the Dean of Arts & Sciences methods to improve teaching and procedures to adopt for the fair and effective evaluation of teachers. Dr. J.A. Baker was the Chair of the Committee. A preliminary report was sent to the Dean in January, 1971 and the procedures noted in the report were adopted later that year. The procedures underwent a review process in 1973 and 1974.

In 1976, the Faculty was divided into the faculties of Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences, and the University College.

Deans of the Faculty of Arts and Science:
W.H. Johns, 1955-1958; D.E. Smith, 1958-1962; unknown, 1962-1963; M.H. Scargill, 1963-1964; T.M. Penelhum, 1964-1967; B.G Wilson, 1968-1971; R.W. Wright, 1971-1973; R.G. Weyant, 1973-1976; N.R. Parsons, 1976-1977.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes, agendas, correspondence, reports, proposals and related material. The fonds is arranged into four series: (1) Faculty of Arts and Science Council (2) Faculty of Arts and Science Executive Council (3) Committees (4) Correspondence.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

The records are arranged in chronological and alphabetical order. Original order maintained except with some artificial order in the committee and correspondence series.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Administrative records are restricted for a period of 15 years as authorized under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

In addition: Some files are restricted due to personal information and must be screened.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

English

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

ckey

2991418

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Request archival material »

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places