Fonds F0039 - Department of French, Italian and Spanish fonds.
- 1967-1995 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Instruction in French began at the University of Alberta in Calgary in 1958. In 1963, Spanish courses were added. Both were taught in the Department of Modern Languages. In 1969, the Department of Romance Studies was formed in the Faculty of Arts and Science. In 1970/71, Italian was added. In 1977, the department moved to the Faculty of Humanities. The name of the department changed in 1984 to French, Italian and Spanish. In 2010, it became part of the newly created Faculty of Arts.
Heads of the Department of French, Italian and Spanish:
A. Harms, 1969-1971; C.D. Boak, 1971-1972; R.M. Chadbourne, 1972-1975; D. Bresky, 1975-1977; Vacant, 1977/78; M.A. Cromie, 1978-1980; A.A. Greaves, 1980-1985; B. Gill, 1985-1986; A.A. Greaves, 1986-1989; B. Gill, 1989-1990; D.C. Walker, 1990-1994; E.D. Dansereau, 1994-1995; D.C. Walker, 1995-1999; A.J. Wall, 1999-2004; R. Schmidt, 2004-2005; L. Torres, 2005-2011; E.M. Garces, 2011-2014; J.-F. Richer, 2014-2016 (Acting); W. Jordan, 2016-.