The Alberta Heart Foundation was formed as a result of increasing awareness of heart disease and was registered as a society in 1956. The following year it became a provincial member of the National Heart Foundation, incorporated in 1956 as a federation of member foundations from various provinces. The AHF opened offices in Calgary in 1959, in Edmonton in 1961, and in Red Deer in 1982. Local chapters also started in Lethbridge and Grande Prairie. The AHF's aims are to support research into heart disease through a grant program, and to educate the public and health professionals about heart disease. Its income is through donations. It appoints one representative to the Board of Directors of the NHF and carries out a number of programs in cooperation with the NHF, such as the Annual Heart Fund Campaign. The name was changed to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Alberta and NWT in the early 1990s and to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Alberta, NWT and Nunavut in 1999. For further information see The History of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Alberta, NWT & Nunavut / John Paquet. -- Calgary : The Foundation, 2004.