CA ACU GBA F0871
- 1946-1963 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
40 cm of textual records. -- 1 photograph
Name of creator
In 1946 John Cuthbert "Bert" Valentine and Edward Francis "Ted" Halford established Halford and Valentine, a car dealership, at 17th Avenue and 1st Street SW, Calgary, Alberta. The company sold Austins, Studebakers and Ramblers. It moved to 101-12th Avenue SW in the early 1950s. In 1967 it moved to 1415-1st Street SW and began to sell Volvos. Bert's son, Ted, took over as president on his father's retirement, and the company was re-incorporated as Halford and Valentine (1968) Ltd. In 1984 Ted Valentine received the Time Magazine Quality Dealer Award for Alberta. By 2000 the business had been renamed Valentine Volvo, and in that year it relocated to 11 Richard Way SW.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gift of Halford and Valentine (1968) Ltd., 1985.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of financial statements and tax returns (1946-1950); customer account ledgers (1946-1950); Austin distributor's agreements (1948-1963); and a photograph of Austin dealers meeting (1951).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
No finding aid.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Tuesday, January 17, 2017