Fonds F0008 - Department of Philosophy fonds.
- 1986-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Classes in philosophy were first offered in 1957/58, and the Department of Philosophy and Sociology was established in the Faculty of Arts and Science in 1961/62. In 1962/63 it became the Department of Philosophy, and in 1964/65 it became the Department of Philosophy and Classics. Philosophy and Classics were separated into two different departments in 1969/70.
In 1977/78, the Department of Philosophy moved to the Faculty of Humanities, and in 2010, it became part of the newly-created Faculty of Arts.
Heads of the Department of Philosophy:
T. M. Penelhum, 1963-1972; C. B. Martin, 1972-1973; No head announced, 1973-1974; J. W. Heintz, 1974-1980; B. F. Chellas, 1980-1983; W. F. M. Stewart, 1983-1984; B. F. Chellas, 1984-1985; K. E. Nielsen, 1985-1992; J. J. McIntosh, Joint Head, 1986-1988; B. M. Baker, 1992-1997; J.W. Heintz, 1997-2003; A. Kazmi, 2003-2015; N. Wyatt, 2015-.