- 1960-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
28 cm textual records
Name of creator
The first University level Chemistry courses were taught in 1949-1950 as service courses to the Faculty of Education programs at the Calgary Branch of the University of Alberta. Initially only the first year of the 3-year Chemistry major BSc program was offered which students had to complete in Edmonton. The years of study allowed at the University was gradually extended until 1964 when the first 4-year BSc (Honors Chemistry) was conferred. In 1966 the Department of Chemistry was created in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. It moved to the newly formed Faculty of Science in 1977. Today the department offers BSc, MSc, and PhD courses and degrees.
Heads of the Department of Chemistry: D.A. Armstrong, 1958-1960; J.B. Hyne, 1960-1966; P.J. Krueger, 1966-1970; D.A. Armstrong, 1970-1973; E. Tschuikow-Roux, 1973-1977; T. Chivers, 1977-1982; P.M. Boorman, 1982-1987; H. Wieser, 1987 (Acting); H.L. Yeager, 1988-1993; P.W. Codding, 1993-1996; D.R. Truax, 1996-1997; R.A. Kydd, 1997-2002; B.A. Keay, 2002-2008; P.J. Kusalik, 2008 (Acting); B.A.Keay, 2008-2012; D.Cramb, 2012-2017.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of department history including growth statistics, staff, funding, annual reports, pamphlets, brochures, information on special events, and a history of the multidiscliplinary biochemistry group. Fonds includes series for Annual Reports, and Pamphlets.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Administrative records are restricted for a period of 15 years as authorized under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes