University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Fonds F0009 - Dale Chandler Kennedy Partnership fonds

Identity area

Reference code

CA ACU CAA F0009

Title

Dale Chandler Kennedy Partnership fonds

Date(s)

  • 1955-1982 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

ca. 59,000 drawings and other material

Context area

Name of creator

(1955-Present)

Administrative history

Architectural firm founded in Calgary, Alberta in July 1955 by Albert Dale. In 1974 the firm of A. Dale & Associates merged with that of Chandler/Kennedy Architects and became known as the DCK Partnership. In the year of the merger with A. Dale & Associates, the new firm opened a second office in Edmonton. Three years later, Alberta Dale retired and the firm changed its name to the Chandler/Kennedy Architectural Group in order to emphasize the team nature of contemporary practice. In 1978, the partnership expanded still further by opening an office in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and an agency in Vancouver, BC. An increasing number of commissions abroad necessitated the creation of a subsidiary, the Chandler/Kennedy Architectural Group - International, and two further offices were opened: London, England, and Dubai, UAE. From the beginning, the firm has extended its activities beyond individual building projects to include various planning studies for small towns, colleges, commercial and office complexes as well as major developments of high and low density land uses.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Sheldon H. Chandler received his B.Arch. at McGill University (1963) then trained with Aspler & Kula (Montreal) and Nils & Eva Koppel in Copenhagen, Denmark. In 1968 he was admitted as a member of the Alberta Association of Architects and opened his own practice in Calgary.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Gordon Gerald Kennedy received his B.Arch. from the University of British Columbia (1964) and trained with J.H. Cook & Associates, W.G. Milne, and Beatson Stevens & Associates (all of Calgary). In June 1965 he was admitted to the Alberta Association of Architects and in 1970 he joined Sheldon Chandler in the partnership of Chandler/Kennedy Architects.

Name of creator

(1927-)

Biographical history

Born in England in 1927, Dale was educated at Manchester and Nottingham University School of Architecture & Town Planning, where he received his Diploma in Architecture (1949) and qualified as a Town Planning Consultant (1953). After emigrating to Canada, he registered with the Alberta Association of Architects (December 1954) and opened his own architectural and Town Planning office (Calgary). In 1974 the firm of A. Dale & Associates merged with that of Chandler/Kennedy Architects and became known as the DCK Partnership.

Archival history

Acquired by donation in 1978, 1984, and 1987.

Dale Chandler Kennedy Partnership

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Fonds consists of drawings, display material, microfilm, aperture cards, specifications, correspondence, and office files from the architectural practice of Dale Chandler Kennedy Partnership, 1955-1982. Significant projects include: Palliser Square, Calgary, AB; Olds Agricultural and Vocational College, Olds, AB; McLaurin Village, Calgary, AB; Hull Estates, Calgary, AB; Chevron Plaza, Calgary, AB; Eau Clair Complex, Calgary, AB; Lindsay Park Aquatic Centre, Calgary, AB.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

The material is in English.

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Also includes ca. 540 items of display material, ca. 154 m of textual records, 52 microfilm reels (35 mm), and ca. 7,000 aperture cards (8 x 19 cm).

Note

Includes record nos: 47A/79.03, 195A/84.16, 235A/87.03

Note

Title based on contents of fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

ckey

2991099

Original fonds identifier

CAA-3460

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Request archival material »

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places