University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Coleção F0054 - CMHQ and RCCS War Diaries Collection

Zona de identificação

Código de referência

CA ACU TMM F0054

Título

CMHQ and RCCS War Diaries Collection

Data(s)

  • 1939-1946 (Produção)

Nível de descrição

Coleção

Dimensão e suporte

1 Hollinger box containing:
2 microfilm reels
.5 cm of textual records

Zona do contexto

Nome do produtor

(1903-1969, 2013-)

História administrativa

Major Wallace Bruce Matthews Carruthers established a militia (Non-Permanent Active Militia) component of signallers under the designation "Signalling Corps" on 24 October 1903,[2] making it the first independent signal corps in the British Empire. It was redesignated "The Canadian Signal Corps" on 4 June 1913. On 1 April 1919 as part of the restructuring based on experiences during the Great War, a regular (Permanent Active Militia) component was established as the "Canadian Signalling Instructional Staff". This was redesignated "The Canadian Permanent Signal Corps" on 15 December 1920. Shortly thereafter, on 15 June 1921, King George V, the Canadian monarch, bestowed on the permanent force portion of the organization the title "The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals". Meanwhile, on 1 August 1921, the militia component was re-titled "Canadian Corps of Signals"; re-designated "Royal Canadian Corps of Signals" on 29 April 1936 (as part of the larger military restructuring that year); and finally aligned in nomenclature with the regular component as "The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals" on 22 March 1948, after the conclusion of the Second World War.

The badge of The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals consisted of a circle, with a Tudor Crown on top with the text Royal Canadian Corps of Signals around the edge. At the center of the circle is the Roman God Mercury (mythology). At the bottom is a ribbon with the text "Velox, Versutus, Vigilans" and eight maple leaves. The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals was responsible for land communication and signalling.

When the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Canadian Navy were unified in 1968 to form the Canadian Forces, the RCCS was amalgamated into the Canadian Forces' Communications and Electronics Branch.

On 19 April 2013, Minister of National Defence, Peter MacKay, announced that the historical designation of "Royal Canadian Corps of Signals" would be restored for the army component within the Communications and Electronics Branch.

Wikipedia contributors, "Royal Canadian Corps of Signals," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Corps_of_Signals (accessed November 16, 2015)

Nome do produtor

(1940-1948)

História administrativa

On 26 September 1939, the Minister of National Defence authorized the creation of a Canadian Military Headquarters (CMHQ) overseas. This headquarters held responsibility for coordinating the arrival, quartering, completing equipment requirements, and training of Canadian Active Service Force units and formations and to command and administer these units and formations in the United Kingdom and at base in the theatre of operations. In addition, the headquarters had an important liaison role, particularly liaison with the War Office and with the General Officer Commanding (GOC) Canadian Forces in the theatre of operations, as well as furnishing information to the Canadian High Commissioner in London.

História do arquivo

Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência

Donated by Beryl Ann Williams, July 2015.

Zona do conteúdo e estrutura

Âmbito e conteúdo

Collection consists of two microfilm reels (T-213222 & T-21377) produced by Library and Archives Canada containing photo duplicates of war diary material ca. WWII and indexes to their contents. Also includes a table noting the frequency of air raid warnings recorded by the Canadian Corps of Signals in Ashtead between August 1940-July 1941. Material was used by donor in her capacity as a researcher on the history of Ashstead, Surrey, England during WWII.

Avaliação, selecção e eliminação

Ingressos adicionais

No further accruals are expected.

Sistema de organização

Zona de condições de acesso e utilização

Condições de acesso

No restrictions on access. Material must be viewed in Special Collections Department at the University of Calgary Library. One week notice is required to arrange this.

Condiçoes de reprodução

Archival materials do not circulate and must be consulted in the TMM Library and Archives Reading Room. Duplication of materials in the collection may be subject to copyright and other restrictions. Please contact TMM Library and Archives staff for guidance on reproduction.

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Script do material

Notas ao idioma e script

Características físicas e requisitos técnicos

A microfilm reader is required to access this material.

Instrumentos de descrição

Zona de documentação associada

Existência e localização de originais

Originals held by Library and Archives Canada.

Existência e localização de cópias

Unidades de descrição relacionadas

Descrições relacionadas

Zona das notas

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo da descrição

Identificador da descrição

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação

Collection processed by Jason Nisenson, November 2015.

Línguas e escritas

Script(s)

Fontes

Nota do arquivista

Zona da incorporação

Request archival material »

Assuntos relacionados

Géneros relacionados

Locais relacionados

Depósito físico

  • Prateleira: EW 3-1-4