Clayton, John Cyril
Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
John Cyril Clayton was born in Cheshire, England in 1918. He qualified as an architect in 1948 after service in the Royal Engineers during the Second World War. He immigrated to Calgary in 1952 and worked with Rule, Wynn, and Rule. In 1953 he joined with Calgary architect Kenneth Bond to form the partnership Clayton and Bond, later to be joined by Allan Mogridge to form Clayton, Bond and Mogridge. They designed many buildings in Calgary and vicinity including the new terminal building for Calgary Airport in 1956.
John Clayton was Vice-President of the Alberta Association of Architects for several years. He served on the board of the CNIB, was a Lay Reader and Member of Synod representing St. Andrew's Church and enjoyed his membership of the Officers' Mess in Currie Barracks. Family ties made him return to England in 1971, where he became Deputy City Architect to the historic city of Durham in the north of England until his retirement in 1983.