W.W. "Bill" Grant built a radio transmitter in High River, Alberta in 1921. In 1922 the station was moved to Calgary where it was assigned the call letters CFCN - the Voice of the Prairies. It was the first Canadian station to carry regularly scheduled news broadcasts. H. Gordon Love acquired majority control of the station in 1928, and in 1931 boosted the station's power to 10,000 watts, making it Canada's most powerful broadcasting station.
In 1935 the country's first commercial newscast, sponsored by Texaco, was broadcast by CFCN. In 1954 CFCN radio joined with two other stations to bring the first television to Calgary as CHCT-TV (Calgary Television), headed by Love. CFCN withdrew from this CBC-affiliated venture in 1958 and applied for Calgary's second television licence. In 1960 CFCN-TV, Canada's first independent television station, went on air. Maclean-Hunter acquired the CFCN radio and television operations in 1966.