Fonds F0472 - Canmore Mines Limited fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code



Canmore Mines Limited fonds


  • 1886-1987 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

29.45 m of textual records. -- 59 engineering plans. -- 11 photographs

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Canmore Mines Limited was incorporated under the name Canadian Anthracite Coal Company (Limited) in 1886. The letters patent were applied for by William Bain Scarth of Winnipeg, John Stewart of Fort Macleod, Archibald and McLeod Stewart of Ottawa, and a number of American investors. The Wisconsin-based company leased coal holdings from the Department of the Interior along the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) tracks near Banff, Alberta. It began operations near the town of Anthracite in 1887, but the mine was closed in 1888. The company then opened the No. 1 Mine at Canmore in 1890. From 1891 to 1911 The H.W. McNeill Co. leased the company's operations which included mines south of Canmore and the Anthracite mine, although the latter was again closed in 1904 because of prohibitive extraction costs. In 1911 the Canadian Anthracite Coal Company's leases were taken over by its operating subsidiary, Canmore Coal Co., which had its head office in Canmore. The No. 2 Mine at Canmore opened in 1918, replacing the No. 1 and running until 1963. In 1930 the company bought leases for a mine east of its operations belonging to Georgetown Collieries. By about 1936 the company's head office was in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. In 1938 the company and its subsidiary, Canmore Coal Co., were consolidated, the subsidiary dissolved, and the parent company's name changed to Canmore Mines Limited. The No. 3 Mine opened in 1948 and operated until 1968. In 1968 Canmore Mines Ltd. underwent a modernization program and was sold to Dillingham Corporation of Hawaii which was then sold to Delta Catalytic Corporation ca. 1987.


Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Gifts of Canmore Mines Ltd., Edmund Hayes Jr., Delta Projects Inc., Stanley G. Triggs, Mr. N.D. Witham, James Morris, 1962-1996.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

  • The fonds consists of Canadian Anthracite Coal Company records: incorporation documents, bylaws, minutes (1886-1954), correspondence (1886-1909, 1937-1938), director's reports (1923-1939, 1942-1944), annual statements (1938-1952), agreements, mortgages, transfers, engineering plans (1891-1946), stock subscription book (1886), financial records (1886-1893, 1924-1952), schedule of salaries (1942), and miscellany. Also consists of Canmore Mines Ltd. records: administrative and operational records (1910s-1980s), minutes (1961- 1969), president's correspondence (1926-1973), financial statements (1958-1967), letterbooks of mine manager James J. Morris (1911-1913, 1917), and photographs of office building construction (1962). Includes Canmore Coal Company records on microfilm: employee registers (1897-1918), letterbooks (1912-1919), tonnage book (1907-1935), deductions for offences book (1934-1940) and financial records (1911-1937).

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

The material is in English.

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

The originals of the microfilmed records are held by the Canmore Museum and James Fitzgerald.

Related descriptions

Notes area


Title based on contents of records.


The accession # for M 1554 is unknown.


BB Canmore was microfilmed on location in Canmore by Glenbow staff in December 1993. It has no accession number.



Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Thursday, October 11, 2018




Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area