Fonds F0459 - Canadian Petroleum Association fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

CA ACU GBA F0459

Title

Canadian Petroleum Association fonds

Date(s)

  • 1948-1992 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

23.6 m of textual records. -- 109 photographs

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Alberta Oil Operators' Association was founded in 1927 to help the industry deal with its many unique and difficult problems. It was reorganized in 1929 as the Oil and Gas Association of Alberta. This association merged in 1938 with the Petroleum Producers' Association (created the previous year by independent oil producers) to form the Alberta Petroleum Association. Throughout the 1940s it provided industry members with the opportunity to express their views to government agencies. In 1947 the name was changed to the Western Canadian Petroleum Association. Fred M. Graham was the first president. In 1952 WCPA amalgamated with the Saskatchewan Operators' Association under its current name, the Canadian Petroleum Association. C.U. Daniels was the first chairman of the board. CPA's objectives are to establish better understanding between the petroleum and natural gas industry and the public, to encourage cooperation between the industry and all levels of government, and to provide a forum for discussion of matters affecting members. Most of its workload is handled by an extensive committee system. CPA's head office is in Calgary. An Ottawa office was established in 1958. Divisional offices were opened in Calgary and Regina in 1952, in Victoria in 1960, and in St. John's in 1981. The Victoria, Regina and St. John's offices were closed in 1991. In 1992 CPA amalgamated with the Independent Petroleum Association of Canada to form the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

Repository

Archival history

Part of this fonds was held by the University of Calgary Library until transferred to Glenbow in 1984.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Gift of Canadian Petroleum Association, the University of Calgary Library, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, and Peter McKenzie-Brown, 1984-2005.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The fonds consists of chronologically-arranged administration files (1950-1992) which include minutes, correspondence, memoranda, financial documents, and legal agreements; and newsletters (1956-1970). Includes the general files of the Western Canadian Petroleum Association (1948-1950) and includes photographs of geological surveys in British Columbia and the Yukon.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

The material is in English.

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Records of the Canadian Petroleum Association, Saskatchewan Division are held by the Saskatchewan Archives Board.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Title based on contents of records.

Note

NA 4662 are copies of PA 2603.

Note

Original file list for the years 1975-1977, 1981-1982, 1984-1985, and 1986-1991 is available. It is on the shelf at the end of M 6856.

Note

Acronyms are not spelled out in finding aid.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area