- 1972 April 7 - 1987 September 1 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
31 items (43 p.)
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Correspondence and contracts between various officials of CBC, Toronto, Ont., and John Metcalf.
- File consists of letters relating to submission of short stories for broadcast or telecast consideration on various CBC programs, including Anthology and State of the Arts; discussing radio programming, J. Metcalf's participation on writer-in-residence radio panel and discussion forum on CBC literary programming, 1975 short story conference in Ottawa dedicated to Robert Weaver, and various other topics; requesting short story submissions for possible publication in Tamarack Review (from Robert Weaver); and forwarding newsclippings of book reviews and letters expressing appreciation for J. Metcalf's radio script for series A sense of place on State of the Arts. Includes contracts for broadcast of various short stories and talks on CBC radio as well as for commission of short stories for radio broadcast.
- Typescript, signed; typescript (carbon copy), some signed; holograph, signed (photocopy); typescript (photocopy), signed.
- Includes references to the following: Men in bowler hats; General Ludd; Gentle as flowers make the stones; Girl in gingham; Kicking against the pricks : essays; Private parts : a memoir; Selected stories; The strange aberration of Mr. Ken Smythe; The teeth of my father : short story; Travelling northward; Notes on CBC literary programming for Geraldine Sherman; The narrative voice; Playground; Making it new; A sense of place; A sense of place : memoir of a farm; A sense of place : an old farmhouse and the Rideau Lakes; Talk by John Metcalf (CBC Anthology); Montreal Story Tellers #1; My favorite teacher; Lieutenant Lukas' cat; John Metcalf's magnificent obsession; Single gents only.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Title based on contents of file.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Because R. Weaver corresponds on behalf of both CBC and Tamarack Review, some items contain references to both bodies. Researchers should read correspondence in this file in conjunction with Tamarack Review and Robert Weaver correspondence files.