University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Canada. Canadian Army. Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Canada. Canadian Army. Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • R.C.C.S.

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1903-1969, 2013-

History

Major Wallace Bruce Matthews Carruthers established a militia (Non-Permanent Active Militia) component of signallers under the designation "Signalling Corps" on 24 October 1903,[2] making it the first independent signal corps in the British Empire. It was redesignated "The Canadian Signal Corps" on 4 June 1913. On 1 April 1919 as part of the restructuring based on experiences during the Great War, a regular (Permanent Active Militia) component was established as the "Canadian Signalling Instructional Staff". This was redesignated "The Canadian Permanent Signal Corps" on 15 December 1920. Shortly thereafter, on 15 June 1921, King George V, the Canadian monarch, bestowed on the permanent force portion of the organization the title "The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals". Meanwhile, on 1 August 1921, the militia component was re-titled "Canadian Corps of Signals"; re-designated "Royal Canadian Corps of Signals" on 29 April 1936 (as part of the larger military restructuring that year); and finally aligned in nomenclature with the regular component as "The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals" on 22 March 1948, after the conclusion of the Second World War.

The badge of The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals consisted of a circle, with a Tudor Crown on top with the text Royal Canadian Corps of Signals around the edge. At the center of the circle is the Roman God Mercury (mythology). At the bottom is a ribbon with the text "Velox, Versutus, Vigilans" and eight maple leaves. The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals was responsible for land communication and signalling.

When the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Canadian Navy were unified in 1968 to form the Canadian Forces, the RCCS was amalgamated into the Canadian Forces' Communications and Electronics Branch.

On 19 April 2013, Minister of National Defence, Peter MacKay, announced that the historical designation of "Royal Canadian Corps of Signals" would be restored for the army component within the Communications and Electronics Branch.

Wikipedia contributors, "Royal Canadian Corps of Signals," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Corps_of_Signals (accessed November 16, 2015)

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Request archival material »

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC