- 1946-1968 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
12.5 cm of textual records
Name of creator
In 1946 "A Committee for the promotion of a Southern Branch of University of Alberta in Calgary", commonly called the Calgary University Committee, was formed to lobby the provincial government for a Branch of the University of Alberta in Calgary, for additional courses for the Branch once it was established, for the expansion of university facilities in Calgary, and for promoting university registration in Calgary and the improvement of programs. William F. Reid was the first chair and G.R. Gell as secretary. Subsequent chairs were Harry Francis (1953), Mrs. H.T. Robertson (1954-1960), and Wilma Hansen [1964-1966]. The Committee disbanded in 1960, but reactivated in 1964 as the "Committee for the advancement of education at the University of Alberta, Calgary", although the name Calgary University Committee was still used. The Committee presented a brief at a public meeting asking for a University Act which would provide each Alberta university with a President, a Senate, and a Board of Governors. The Committee disbanded ca. 1966 after the University gained autonomy.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of Calgary University Committee minutes and correspondence.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Administrative records are restricted for a period of 15 years as authorized under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes