University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Home

Search archival collections at the University of Calgary

Calgary University Committee

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Calgary University Committee

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1946 "A Committee for the promotion of a Southern Branch of University of Alberta in Calgary", commonly called the Calgary University Committee, was formed to lobby the provincial government for a Branch of the University of Alberta in Calgary, for additional courses for the Branch once it was established, for the expansion of university facilities in Calgary, and for promoting university registration in Calgary and the improvement of programs. William F. Reid was the first chair and G.R. Gell as secretary. Subsequent chairs were Harry Francis (1953), Mrs. H.T. Robertson (1954-1960), and Wilma Hansen [1964-1966]. The Committee disbanded in 1960, but reactivated in 1964 as the "Committee for the advancement of education at the University of Alberta, Calgary", although the name Calgary University Committee was still used. The Committee presented a brief at a public meeting asking for a University Act which would provide each Alberta university with a President, a Senate, and a Board of Governors. The Committee disbanded ca. 1966 after the University gained autonomy.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Request archival material »

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC