CA ACU GBA F0389
- 1911-1936 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
18 cm of textual records
Name of creator
The first museum in Calgary, Alberta was established in 1911 through the efforts of Dr. Euston Sisley and the Calgary Natural History Society. Its first home was in a room of the newly-opened Central Park Library. In 1914 it moved to the basement of the Courthouse. In 1927 the CNHS presented the growing museum to the City of Calgary as a trust, and the Calgary Public Museum became an incorporated society in 1928, run by a body of citizens and under the control of city commissioners. Collections were moved to the North West Travellers Building, the acquisition program was revitalized and new displays were set up by curator J.E. Thurston. The museum collections included mounted zoological specimens, dinosaur fossils, native artifacts, minerals and military artifacts. It closed in 1935 due to financial problems. For further information see Sue Baptie's article "The Case of the Missing Museum" in Glenbow [magazine], vol. 5, no 6 (November/December 1972), p. 6-7.
This fonds was part of the Horseman's Hall of Fame collections before being transferred to the Glenbow in 1975.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gift of Carling O'Keefe Breweries, 1964-1975.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- The fonds consists of correspondence, primarily about collections (1911-1936), an accessions register (1928-1929), and visitors books (1928-1933).
- RECORDS RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS ARE ALSO IN THIS FONDS. SEE INVENTORY FOR DETAILS: Alberta Natural History Society, Prof. John A. Allan, G. Allen, A.J. Aylesworth, Barnum Brown, buffalo, Thomas S. Burns, Calgary Horticultural Society, Alexander Calhoun, Earl D. Campbell, Canadian Independent Naturalists Association, W.G. Carpenter, Walter Carter, Cyril Child, Ernest W. Coffin, William E. Cutler, G.F. Dippie, G.R. Dolan, Roy R. Fowler, John A. Grant, P.C. Bernard Hervey, Newton Langford, Benjamin Lawton, Clare Leighton, Prof. Francis J. Lewis, Duncan Marshall, Dr. Herbert H. Moshier, J.A. Munro, Red Deer River, Mary T.S. Schaffer, Ernest Thomson Seton, George E. Wood, and William R. Wright.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material. https://glenbow.ucalgary.ca/finding-aid/calgary-public-museum-fonds/
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
This fonds is described in the "Horseman's Hall of Fame" inventory.
M 2084, photocopies collected by staff in 1963, may be copies of records in M 2111.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Wednesday, October 24, 2018