- 1890-1983 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Calgary Polo Club was established in 1890 and used a playing field in east Calgary. In 1892 it moved to Hillhurst, and in 1912 found a new site in south Calgary which it used until 1960 when it moved to a new home four miles southwest of De Winton, Alberta. The club was active in the 1920s and 1930s but play was heavily curtailed during the second world war. After 1945 the club gradually revived. In the 1980s the Mannix family of Calgary were club supporters. For further information see 100 Years, Calgary Polo Club, 1890-1990. -- Calgary : SG Classic Communications & Publishing Ltd., 1990; and Calgary Polo Club 2000 : Celebrating our 110th anniversary / Calgary : Thomas Morgan Communications, 2000.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gift of Calgary Polo Club, 1983.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of photographs of polo teams, ranchers, the Mannix family and Mannix construction work.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
No finding aid, but many of the photos have been digitized.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of records.
NA-5554 are copies of PA-2489. They have no accession number.
Link added to Archives Photographs on July 20, 2015.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Thursday, April 26, 2018