Fonds F0366 - Calgary Jewish Community Council fonds
- 1942-1985, predominant 1956-1985 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Calgary Jewish Community Council began in Calgary, Alberta in 1956 as the Joint Jewish Administration Office. This umbrella group represented a wide range of Jewish organizations, services and individuals in the city, and its purpose was to coordinate activities and fundraising efforts. The name was changed from JJAO to the Calgary Jewish Community Council in 1962. The Council’s offices were in the House of Israel building at 102 - 18th Avenue SW, which also served as a community hall for cultural and social events. The Council had several committees to oversee its main areas of concern: Health and Welfare (including placement of war orphans and immigrant aid), Jewish Education, Religious Affairs (including kosher foods and synagogues), and Community Relations (including a calendar of events and the Calgary Jewish News newspaper). The Council's main annual fundraising event was the Calgary United Jewish Appeal, the local beneficiaries of which were the Calgary Jewish Family Service Bureau, several Jewish schools, a Kashrut program which ran a kosher poultry plant, and others. A second annual fundraiser, the United Israel Appeal, provided money for traditional institutions and other needs in Israel. CJCC has been closely affiliated with the Canadian Jewish Congress, B’nai Brith, and Zionist Organization of Canada.
In 1979 the CJCC built a new Calgary Jewish Centre at 1607 - 90th Avenue SW. This large facility served as a recreation facility and social centre for the Jewish community. On offer were a wide range of fitness and athletic programs, including aquatics. Other programs were aimed at adults (including a cultural series), senior adults (including a seniors' residence), youth, and children (including day camps and a day care). CJC also coordinated community-wide observances of Jewish holidays and remembrances.