- 1890-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
7.5 m of textual records. -- ca. 1100 photographs. -- 18 audio cassettes. -- 1 film reel
Name of creator
The Calgary Board of Trade was established in the summer of 1885 in Calgary, Alberta. Meetings were later held at the town hall in 1890 and 1891 in response to a petition calling for the incorporation of the board of trade. A certificate of association was granted by the Dominion Government and officers were elected: Alexander Lucas as president and P.J. Nolan, first secretary. The organization's purpose was to attract business to Calgary and to present an organized effort to express views on public questions affecting the business community. The Board of Trade was especially active in opposing the Social Credit government and its proposed legislation which the Board felt would be detrimental to business concerns. In 1950 the Board became known as the Calgary Chamber of Commerce. Its aims have remained to further civic, commercial, and industrial progress in the community. For further information see The First Hundred Years : The History of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce / Jack Peach. - Calgary : Calgary Chamber of Commerce, 1990.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gifts of Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Eric D. McGreer, and J. D. Herbert, 1958-1994.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- The fonds consists of certificates of incorporation and association, bylaws, minutes, membership reports and lists (1890-1976), annual reports (1904-1967), correspondence (1920-1979), committee records (1969-1977), Policy and Planning Relations records (1944-1986), budgets (1969-1978), publications, newspaper clippings and miscellany. Includes photographs (1920s-1980s) of Calgary Chamber of Commerce personalities and activities, Calgary businesses and industries, and Banff and Waterton views. Also includes recorded interviews with past presidents and general managers (Ross Alger, Blake Ashforth, Cliff Black, Bob Braun, Don Cross, David Dahl, Edgar Davis, Bill Grant, Norman Green, D.E. Lewis, Rod McDaniel, Eric McGreer, Ted Mills, Fred Peacock, Gordon Pearce, A.H. Ross, Peter Valentine, and Tom Walsh), and a promotional audio recording and film.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
The material is in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents and provenance of records.
NA 3884 are copy negatives.
M 7853 is unprocessed (2 m of records).
Place access points
Name access points
- Calgary Board of Trade (Subject)
- Alberta Opportunity Company (Subject)
- Calgary Convention Centre (Subject)
- Calgary Exhibition and Stampede (Subject)
- Economic Safety League (Subject)
- Calgary Jaycees (Subject)
- Kelly, John Howard (Subject)
- King, William Lyon Mackenzie (Subject)
- Motor Car Supply Company of Canada (Subject)
- Pacific Western Airlines (Subject)
- Powell, G.F. (Subject)
- Alberta Social Credit Party (Subject)
- Western Manufacturers Opportunity Show (Subject)
- Windsor Publications (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Tuesday, October 30, 2018