Showing 27227 results

Authority record

The Military Museums Library and Archives

  • ACU TMM
  • Corporate body
  • 2000-

TMM Library and Archives is managed by the University of Calgary through a partnership with the Military Museums established in 2000

Morley, George

  • C0091
  • Person
  • 1927-2004

George James Morley was born in Ontario in 1927 and operated a retail appliance store in Toronto. After moving to Calgary with his family, Morley became involved with a wide variety of volunteer organizations that complemented his broad range of interests. He had strong interests in Canadian war history and was the founding president of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society, the past president of the N.W.M.P. Commemorative Association, and the director for The Red Coat Puppet Theatre; Morley authored the production “Westward Ride the Red Coats” that was performed in many Alberta schools.

Morley had a passion for comic art. His personal collection, that he began accumulating in the 1940s, includes clippings, comic books, and reference books, reference files on comic art and artists, and original artwork. Morley’s interest in war history is reflected in many of the strips he collected including G-8 and His Battle Aces, Navy Bob Steele, Flyin’ Jenny, and Captain Easy. He was also the founder and publisher of Strip Scene, a fanzine that celebrated the newspaper comic strip with articles, research information and artwork. Strip Scene was first published in 1977 and ran in print form for 25 issues through to 1984; long-time editor Carl Horak continues to maintain Strip Scene as a web presence.

Morley also carried this passion into his volunteer work with Calgary public schools as he worked extensively with students using his love and knowledge of comic art to encourage their own creativity. The George Morley Memorial Scholarship was established in his honour in 2004 to recognize students “with a high level of participation in the arts program."

George Morley died March 5, 2004.

Dr. Suzette Mayr

  • F0342
  • Person

Suzette Mayr is an award-winning author, poet, editor and educator who was born in Calgary, Alberta in 1967. As a Canadian of German and Afro-Caribbean background, Mayr often explores issues of race, identity and sexuality in her writing through the stylistic use of humour, cultural mythologies and surreal imagery.

Her novels include Moon Honey (1995 NeWest Press), The Widows (1998 NeWest Press), Venous Hum (2004 Arsenal Pulp Press), Monoceros (2011 Coach House Books) and Dr. Edith Vane and the Hares of Crawley Hall (2017 Coach House Books). Her novel Moon Honey was nominated for the Henry Kreisel Award for Best First Book and the Georges Bugnet award for Best Novel. The Widows was nominated for the Commonwealth Prize for Best Book in the Canada-Caribbean Region. Monoceros was the winner of the 2012 ReLit Award and the City of Calgary W.O. Mitchell Award, longlisted for the 2011 Scotiabank Giller Prize and was also nominated for the Ferro-Grumley Award for LGBT Fiction and the Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction.

A former President of the Writers’ Guild of Alberta, Mayr has edited six literary anthologies, and collaborated with Calgary theatre company Theatre Junction and visual artists Lisa Brawn and Geoff Hunter. She has been a writer-in-residence at the University of Calgary and at Widener University, Pennsylvania. Mayr is currently is a Professor at the University of Calgary’s Department of English, where she teaches courses in creative writing and contemporary literature studies.

Lewis L. Osborne

  • F3407
  • Person
  • 1954-1993

Lewis L. Osborne completed his PhD at the University of Calgary in 1981. He worked at the Illinois Natural History Survey, a research institution located on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign from ca. 1987-1993. He was also a professor in the university's Department of Urban and Regional Planning prior to 1987.

Calgary Institute for the Humanities

The Calgary Institute for the Humanities was established as a university-level research institute at the University of Calgary in 1976. The Institute is responsible to the Vice-President (Research). It fosters advanced study and research in a broad range of subjects reflecting its multi-disciplinary and multi-faculty orientation.

The Humanities Institute supports research in traditional humanities as well as in philosophical and historical aspects of the social sciences, sciences, arts, and professional studies. The humanities are not conceived as a specific group of academic disciplines, but include all forms of study that examine what is human.

In addition to its role at the university, the Calgary Institute for the Humanities encourages humanistic study outside of the university and dialogue between the academic community and the general public. Programs of the Institute include fellowship appointments, independent research initiatives by university faculty, strategic research projects, and community partnerships.

University of Calgary. Office of Risk Management, Insurance, Safety and Security

The Office of Risk Management, Insurance, Safety and Security was in existence at the University by the mid-1980s. Sometime after 2004, the name was changed to Risk Management and Insurance. The mandate of the department is to provide risk management and insurance services to the University of Calgary community in support of learning, teaching, research and administration.

University of Calgary. Office of the Vice-President. External Relations

The University of Calgary's vice-presidents are appointed by its Board of Governors, which has been granted this power by The Universities Act as well as the authority to assign duties to the vice-presidents on the recommendation of the President. The Vice-President (University Relations) is responsible for relationship-building with the university's internal and external communities and oversees the following areas: alumni relations, government relations, community engagement, marketing, and strategic communications with faculty, staff, alumni and the community.

The position originated in 2002 as Vice-President (External Relations), responsible for alumni relations, marketing, public relations and government relations. In 2011, it was renamed Vice-President (University Relations).

Incumbents have been: Roman Cooney (VP(External Relations), 2005-2008); Colleen Taylor (Interim VP(External Relations), 2009-2010); Diane Kenyon (VP(University Relations), 2011-)

University of Calgary. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (UCVM) was established in 2005 to meet Alberta’s need for highly-skilled veterinary graduates supporting rural Alberta, production animal and equine industries, animal and human health research, and public health. The first students began classes in September 2008.

UCVM offers the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program, supervision leading to graduate degrees (MSc, PhD) in Veterinary Medical Sciences, and advanced clinical training programs (internships, fellowships, and residencies). UCVM is also committed to professional development programs for the veterinary community and to strengthening the connections between human and animal medicine, a concept known as One Health.

Deans of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine:
E.D. Janzen, Interim Dean, 2006-2007; Unknown, 2007-2008; A.E. Cribb, 2008-2016; E.K. Read, Interim Dean, 2016-.

University of Calgary. Dept. of Classics

Classics classes were first offered in the 1956/57 school year, with “Second Year Latin Authors and Prose Composition”, taught by V. E. Graham. A. D. Winspear began teaching the classics classes in 1957/58 and continued alone until 1964/65, when he was joined by a sessional instructor, Mrs. E. Swart. The Department of Classics was established in the 1961/62 school year as part of the Faculty of Arts and Science under Dean D. Smith. The Department of Classics became the Department of Philosophy and Classics under Dean T. M. Penelhum in 1964/65, who became the first head in 1967/68.

In 1969/70 the Department of Philosophy and Classics was divided into two departments. On April 1, 1976, the Faculty of Arts and Science was divided, and the Department of Classics moved to the Faculty of Humanities. In 1993/94, the Department was renamed the Department of Greek, Latin and Ancient History. In 2001/02 the Department of Greek, Latin and Ancient History was renamed the Department of Greek and Roman Studies. In 2010/11 The Department of Greek and Roman Studies changed from being in the Faculty of Humanities to the Faculty of Arts. In 2015, the Departments of Greek and Roman Studies and Religious Studies merged to become the Department of Classics and Religion.

Department Heads: 1967-1969: T. Penelhum; 1969-1974: B. Baldwin; 1974-1976: M. Molitor; 1976-1981: B. Baldwin; 1981-1987: M. Cropp; 1987-1989: J. Yardley; 1989-1993: M. Cropp; 1993-1998: J. Humphrey; 1998-2000: M. Cropp; 2000-2013: P. Toohey; 2013-2015: H. S. Nielson; 2015-2016: T. Ruparell

Results 1 to 10 of 27227