Showing 27235 resultsGeauthoriseerde beschrijving
Dance Montage was founded in 1969 growing from a showcase for Physical Education students' work to an annual extravaganza. It is presented each November by the Faculty of Kinesiology of the University of Calgary. Dance Montage brings together dancers and choreographers from the university and Calgary community with a cast of performers ranging from relative beginners, to serious dance students, to former professional dancers.
The Office of Gender and Equity Issues is the coordinating centre for gender, sexual harassment and employment equity issues in the Faculty of Medicine. The office is led by the Director who reports to the Dean of the faculty. Upon creation, the primary goal of the office was to promote equal participation in employment and education for women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilites, and visible minorities. Supporting this were the goals to discourage discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, to collaborate with other universities and community groups with similar mandates or goals, and to promote equity in the content and teaching of curricula, to foster equity in research, and to foster equity in participation in committees and leadership positions for women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilties, and visible minorities.
Dr. Marshall was born on June 8th, 1930 in Prince Albert and was educated in Yorkton and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The family moved to Calgary in 1940 where Marshall attended Junior High and High School. Dr. Marshall received his BSc. from the University of Alberta in 1950 and his medical degree in 1954.
Postgraduate work started with an internship at the Calgary General Hospital, followed by two years in Montreal at the Royal Victoria and Montreal General Hospitals. Dr. Marshall then went to New York City, taking a year of surgery at Bellevue Hospital and then three years of urological training at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Marshall was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons and a Diplomat of the American Board of Urology. Dr. Marshall began his practice as a urological surgeon at the Royal Alexandria Hospital in Edmonont in 1962. From 1980 to 1982 he was chairman of the Communications Committee of the Alberta Medical Association.
Dr. Marshall has been involved with the western independence movement since 1981. He ran for the leadership of the Western Canada Concept Party in July 1984 in the first-ever satellite leadership convention, an idea concieved and developed by Dr. Marshall. Jack Ramsay won the leadership convention. Dr. Marshall later ran as a candidate in two Alberta provincial elections and in July 1987 he ran as an independent candidate in the federal by-election in the Yukon.
In August 1987 Dr. Marshall was one of a group of Albertans who were instrumental in forming a new political party, the Western Independence Party of Canada. At the founding convention of the party in Edmonton in October 1987, Dr. Marshall was elected interim leader. He remained active in the organization until 1993.
Dr. Marshall died August 10th, 2002 in Edmonton.
The International Health Program and International Health Exchange program originated in the Faculty of Medicine prior to 1983. In 2014, the Faculty of Medicine was renamed the Cumming School of Medicine and the International Health Program was renamed the Global Health and International Partnerships Program.
The mandate of the program is to provide leadership, funding and support for international experiences for students in the Cumming School of Medicine.
Gwynne Dyer was born in St. John's Newfoundland and educated at Memorial University (BA 1963), Rice University, Texas (MA, Military history, 1966) and the University of London (PhD, Military and Middle Eastern History, 1973). Dyer served in the Canadian, American and British navies. He was a lecturer in Military History at Canadian Forces College, Toronto (1964-1966); a senior lecturer in War Studies at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst (1973-1977) and an Associate Fellow in Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Oxford (1973-1975).
Dyer has worked as a freelance journalist, broadcaster and lecturer since leaving teaching in the 1970s. His syndicated columns on international affairs appear in a dozen languages in nearly 200 newspapers published in 40 countries around the world. Dyer, in collaboration with Tina Viljoen, has created a number of television series and radio documentaries on topics related to war, human politics and peacekeeping.
The Department of Electrical Engineering was formed in the Faculty of Engineering in 1967. In 1995/96, it became Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. In 2005, the Faculty of Engineering was renamed the Schulich School of Engineering.
Heads of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering:
TBA, 1967-1968; F.N. Trofimenkoff, 1968-1972; R.A. Stein (Acting Head), 1972-1973; F.N. Trofimenkoff, 1973-1978; L.T. Bruton, 1978-1982; G.S. Hope, 1982-1987; J.W. Haslett, 1987-1998; R.H. Johnston, 1998-2003; L.J. Leon, 2003-2006; A. Sesay, 2006-2011; W. Rosehart, 2011-2014; D. Westwick, 2014-.
The impetus for the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory (RAO) was initiated by Mr. Alexander (Sandy) Rothney Cross in December 1970 when he offered to donate a quarter section of land near Priddis, Alberta to the University. The Capital Resources Policy Committee passed a motion in June 1971 to proceed with a tree farm, animal farm and observatory on the land (the tree and animal farms never came to fruition). At Cross’s request, the observatory was named the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory to honour his mother’s side of the family. The site was officially opened in January 1972 by Dr. Margaret Burbidge, then Director of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, who unveiled the RAO’s sundial to symbolize the emergence of the University of Calgary onto the astronomical scene.
Cyril Challice, the Head of the Department of Physics, gave the initial planning of the site to Dr. T. Alan Clark who was joined in September 1971 by Dr. Eugene F.Milone; the two would become co-directors of the facility in 1975 and oversee its modest beginnings to a million-dollar research destination. The equipment first used was a 16 inch (.4 m) research grade telescope ordered by Clark from England with the initial photometer instrumentation obtained from the University of Virginia. This early photometer was modified over the years to become the Rapid Alternate Detection System (RADS), a system developed at the University of Calgary that allows for precision photometry through light cloud and that can adjust for variations in urban light reflections.
In the early 1980s, a Baker-Nunn satellite tracking camera was purchased for $.01 from the Cold Lake Air Force Base and transported to the RAO where it was installed in 1983. At the same time, Dr. George Coyne, then Director of the observatory at the Lunar and Planetary Lab in Tucson facilitated the acquisition of a 1.5 m metal mirror for the RAO. This became the basis of a $198,000 grant to build an alt-alt mounting for an infrared telescope to permit unblocked views of the entire sky and allow observations at the zenith where atmospheric distortion is minimal. The Cross Educational Foundation provided the funds for a building to house the apparatus and a dedication ceremony for the new 1.5 m, 8 tonne infrared telescope (IRT) was held on May 6, 1987. Dr. George Coyne, S.J., now Director of the Vatican Observatory, dedicated the telescope; Mr. Cross officially cut the ribbon. The telescope was renamed the ARCT or the Alexander Rothney Cross telescope to honour Sandy Cross who had donated more land and significant additional funding over the years. At the time, the RAO was Canada’s only dedicated infrared telescope facility, with its advantage of altitude and extreme dry air conditions that allowed for clear observations.
The 1.5 m mirror was replaced in 1993 by a new generation 1.8 m honeycomb mirror created in the Optical Sciences Centre of the University of Arizona. The Astrophysical Research Consortium at the Apache Point Observatory, New Mexico had offered in the late 1980s to fund ½ the costs of polishing the mirror in return for its short-term usage. Dr. Alan Clark developed the design for the mounting and oversaw its construction; first light was achieved through the newly upgraded 1.8 m telescope in January, 1996. A year later, the RAO celebrated its 25th anniversary.
In 2001, Dr. Milone submitted a grant to build a Visitor’s Centre at the site in order to expand outreach and teaching capabilities. The $400,000 submission was successful; the new Visitor’s Centre and teaching facility was official opened in 2005. Dr. Milone stepped down as Director of the RAO on September 1, 2004. Dr. Rene Plume became Acting Director for a year until Philip Langill was named Director.
The Future Group was created in the summer of 2000 with the aim of working with governments, non-governmental organizations, businesses and other people in areas of the world affected by an international crisis. Their first project was to send a team of four people to Cambodia in May-July 2001 to tackle the problems of child sex slavery and trafficking. The team members were Benjamin Perrin, Shuvaloy Majumdar, Nicholas Gafuik and Stephanie Andrews. Their project had five parts: building relationships between the non-governmental organizations already at work in Cambodia, developing an education program against child prostitution targeted at high-risk children, running a responsible tourism campaign, facilitating the establishment of drop-in shelters and writing a report on the situation, actions taken and proposals. The final report was published and distributed to the international community, businesses, NGOs, media and the Government of Cambodia.
The Department of Archaeology was formed in 1966 in the Faculty of Arts and Science. It moved to the newly formed Faculty of Social Sciences in 1977.
In 2010, the department became part of the newly created Faculty of Arts. In 2014, the Departments of Archaeology and Anthropology merged to become the Department of Anthropology and Archaeology.
Heads of the Department of Archaeology: R.S. MacNeish, 1966-1968; R.G. Forbis, 1968-1969; D.H. Kelly, 1969-1970 (Acting Head); P.L. Shinnie, 1970-1975; R.G. Forbis, 1975-1976; J. Scott Raymond, 1976-1981; J.H. Kelley, 1981-1987; N.C. David, 1987-1992; J.S. Raymond, 1992-2001; M. Anne Katzenberg, 2001-2006; B. Kooyman, 2006-2011; G. Otelaar, 2011-2014; P. Sicotte, 2014-.
Victor Edward Mitchell was born January 29, 1929 in Vancouver B.C. He graduated from Victoria High School in 1947 and received his B.A. from the University of British Columbia in 1950. After completing a Professional Teaching Certificate he taught drama in Ladner and served two years as the High School principal in Slocan. He moved to England for a short time to study theatre at the London Guildhall School of Music and Drama and was a tutor at Westminster City School in 1959. Mitchell received a Canada Council grant to study theatre production at Stanford University where he received his Master of Arts in 1964. He was in the midst of writing his PhD dissertation when he was hired at the University of Calgary.
Mitchell was the Head of the Drama Division in the Department of Fine Arts from 1965-1968. He then became first Head of the new Department of Drama 1968-1974 in the newly formed Faculty of Fine Arts. Under his direction the department grew rapidly in the 1970s, following Mitchell’s production centred curriculum that blended academic and practical studies around the preparation and performance of stage plays. Mitchell chose plays that challenged both his students and the audience including Volpone, The House of Atreus, In the Penal Colony, and Spring Awakening. He also conducted summer theatre study tours for the Faculty of Continuing Education: London, Stratford and Edinburgh in 1982; and Stratford, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and New York in 1983. Mitchell retired from the University in 1984 and was awarded Professor Emeritus status.
Mitchell was very active in educational and community theatre groups in Calgary. Among his many activities he was a founding member and on the Board of Directors of MAC 14 Theatre (1965-1968), the Musicians and Actors Club that was the precursor to Theatre Calgary; a founding director of Prairie Players, a professional touring company (1966-1968); and a founding member with Joyce Doolittle of Calgary Youth Drama Society and the Pumphouse Theatre. Mitchell was also the founder and director of several productions for the Riverside Theatre Company and The Alternative Theatre Company. Among the many productions he directed and/or acted in were: The Importance of Being Earnest, Every Man in his Humour, Ten O’Clock Mail, Echoes in the Attic, Hosanna, and Saved. Mitchell continued to act and direct in his retirement in Victoria, and was honoured with a theatre named for him at the Pumphouse Theatre in 1984.
Mitchell travelled widely in his retirement, touring Vietnam and Turkey, visiting friends in England and Europe and frequently spending his winters in Thailand and the Philippines. He died in Victoria, B.C. on July 22nd, 2006.