Affichage de 27227 résultatsNotice d'autorité
The University of Calgary has had international services and information for students for almost as long as it has existed. International student services were established and operating by 1974, an international student advisor was designated in the late 1970s, and a study abroad information center was established in 1977. Some of the first services for international students were established in the early 1970s in the Student Services office. In 1997, the International Student Centre (ISC) was established as a separate administrative unit with reponsibility for international student programs and advising as well as housing the study abroad resource library and administering many of the university exchange programs. The ISC is administered and housed separately from the International Centre, though it cooperates fully with the Centre in fulfilling the mandate to internationalize the University of Calgary.
The International Student Centre works with international students to assist with their adjustment to university and to Canada. They also promote international understanding to Canadians by involving them in programs that develop global experience. The ISC mission is to promote and administer international programs and develop and facilitate cross cultural experiences for both Canadian and International students.
The goals and objectives of the ISC are to: provide support and services for international students relating to their adjusment to the University of Calgary and to Canada; provide Canadian students with opportunities and information for Education Abroad activities; provide programs which act as "bridges" between Canadian and international students; include students in the development and delivery of programs and services; and contribute to the field/profession of student advising as international education.
The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Calgary had its beginnings in 1964, when a royal commission on health services in Canada outlined the projected needs for family physicians required to maintain a ratio of approximately one physician per 870 people. The commission made specific recommendations for the development of new, basic science facilities to educate future physicians. It also recommended that new medical schools be established across the country, among them a medical school at the University of Alberta in Calgary. Funds were made available from the Health Facilities Development Fund to provide up to half the cost of construction of these new medical schools.
Formally created in 1967, the first students were admitted to the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine in 1970. The Faculty was originally housed on the University’s main campus; students in the class of 1975 were the first to start their program in the newly constructed Health Sciences Building built adjacent to the Foothills Hospital. The Heritage Medical Research Building was built in November of 1987 with funding made available by the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research.
On June 17, 2014, the Faculty of Medicine was formally renamed the Cumming School of Medicine in recognition of Geoffrey Cumming's generous gift to the university - matched by the Province of Alberta - in support of the school's work in medical research and innovation.
Deans of the Faculty of Medicine/Cumming School of Medicine: W. Cochrane, 1967-1973; L. McLeod, 1973-1981; M. Watanabe, 1981-1992; E. Smith, 1992-1997; G. Gall, 1997-2007; T. Feasby, 2007-2012; J. Meddings, 2012-.
Dr. Robert Church is Professor Emeritus of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Calgary (1992-present), President of Church Livestock Consulting Ltd (1967-present), and co-owner (with his wife) of Lochend Luing Ranch (1972-present). Dr. Church held various academic and administrative posts at the University of Calgary including Professor of Biochemistry (1969-1983), Professor, Medical Biochemistry and Biological Science (1969-1992), and Associate Dean of Research, Faculty of Medicine (1981-1988). Before coming to the University of Calgary, he was a Fellow at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle. He has also been an Affiliate Professor, Animal Reproduction Laboratory, Colorado State University (1972-1982), and a Visiting Scientist with the Soviet Academy of Sciences (1972) and with the Murdoch University Veterinary School, Western Australia (1977). He received a PhD in Animal Molecular Genetics from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, and a Diploma, Transplantation, University of Uppsala, Sweden. He has received Honorary Diplomas from Olds College (1997), Mount Royal College (1998) and a Doctor of Laws from the University of Lethbridge (1998). He serves on several boards and committees and is a Past President of the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede. He was a Founding Member of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research. He is a former member of the Medical Research Council of Canada and Chairman of the Alberta Science and Research Authority. Dr. Church has received several awards and honours, and has published more than 200 papers in the scientific and lifestock-industry press.
The Year 2000 Project Office existed from 1998 to 2000. It was established to coordinate the efforts of faculties and departments to address the Year 2000 issue in the major areas of information technology, embedded systems, and supply chain. Progress reports on the Year 2000 project were presented regularly to senior management, the Year 2000 Task Force, and periodically to the Board of Governors. The Project Manager was Vincent Van Hyfte.
In 1960 the Faculty of Arts and Science began offering the subject of Psychology. The Department of Psychology was formed in 1962 in the same Faculty. In 1977, the department moved to the newly formed Faculty of Social Sciences. The Department offers a BA, BSc, BA Honours, BSc Honours degrees as well as graduate work leading to a MSc, and PhD.
In April 2010, all departments from the Faculty of Social Sciences were combined with those of the Faculties of Fine Arts, Humanities and Communication and Culture into the Faculty of Art.
Heads of the Department of Psychology: W.R.N. Blair, 1966-1972; R.E. Schaub, 1972-1973 (Acting); W.R.N. Blair, 1973-1974; R.E. Schaub, 1974-1979; W.R.N. Blair, 1979-1980; R.E. Schaub, 1980-1981; D.G. Jamieson, 1981-1985; W.A.S. Smith, 1985-1986; D.W. Kline, 1986-1996; B. Bland, 1996-2006; K. Dobson, 2006-2011; D. Hodgins, 2011-.
Dr. Howard Delbert Palmer (1946-1991) was born to Asael Delbert Palmer and Mable Johansen in Lethbridge, Alberta on December 17, 1946. He was the grandson of Asael Exile Palmer of Lethbridge, the first director of the Lethbridge Experimental Farm (later the Government of Canada Agricultural Research Station). Asael Exile was a Mormon who, as a child, was forced to flee the United States for Canada with his family after his father was persected by the American government for having several wives. Asael Exile apparently had a formative influence on Howard and his interest in history.
Howard Palmer was granted his BA in History from Brigham Young University, Utah in 1968, his MA in History from the University of Alberta in 1971, and his PhD in History from York University in 1973. He was employed by the Department of the Secretary of State for the Government of Canada as the Research Director of the Multicultural Program from September 1971 to July 1973. Palmer then worked at the University of Calgary as a member of the academic staff from July 1973 until shortly before his death.
Dr. Palmer was fluent in English and Spanish with reading abilities in French. Palmer's main area of research appears to have been multiculturalism and immigration. He was a prolific writer with one of his major works being "Alberta: a new history" which he wrote with his wife Tamara Palmer. Dr. Palmer died on March 15, 1991. The Howard Palmer Memorial Scholarship was instituted for students in the Department of History at the University of Calgary with concentration in Western Canadian History or Western Canadian Studies. The Canadian Ethnic Studies Association (CESA) instituted the Howard Palmer Scholarship Award in 2003 for graduate students who are members of CESA.
Dance Montage was founded in 1969 growing from a showcase for Physical Education students' work to an annual extravaganza. It is presented each November by the Faculty of Kinesiology of the University of Calgary. Dance Montage brings together dancers and choreographers from the university and Calgary community with a cast of performers ranging from relative beginners, to serious dance students, to former professional dancers.
The Office of Gender and Equity Issues is the coordinating centre for gender, sexual harassment and employment equity issues in the Faculty of Medicine. The office is led by the Director who reports to the Dean of the faculty. Upon creation, the primary goal of the office was to promote equal participation in employment and education for women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilites, and visible minorities. Supporting this were the goals to discourage discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, to collaborate with other universities and community groups with similar mandates or goals, and to promote equity in the content and teaching of curricula, to foster equity in research, and to foster equity in participation in committees and leadership positions for women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilties, and visible minorities.
Dr. Marshall was born on June 8th, 1930 in Prince Albert and was educated in Yorkton and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The family moved to Calgary in 1940 where Marshall attended Junior High and High School. Dr. Marshall received his BSc. from the University of Alberta in 1950 and his medical degree in 1954.
Postgraduate work started with an internship at the Calgary General Hospital, followed by two years in Montreal at the Royal Victoria and Montreal General Hospitals. Dr. Marshall then went to New York City, taking a year of surgery at Bellevue Hospital and then three years of urological training at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Marshall was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons and a Diplomat of the American Board of Urology. Dr. Marshall began his practice as a urological surgeon at the Royal Alexandria Hospital in Edmonont in 1962. From 1980 to 1982 he was chairman of the Communications Committee of the Alberta Medical Association.
Dr. Marshall has been involved with the western independence movement since 1981. He ran for the leadership of the Western Canada Concept Party in July 1984 in the first-ever satellite leadership convention, an idea concieved and developed by Dr. Marshall. Jack Ramsay won the leadership convention. Dr. Marshall later ran as a candidate in two Alberta provincial elections and in July 1987 he ran as an independent candidate in the federal by-election in the Yukon.
In August 1987 Dr. Marshall was one of a group of Albertans who were instrumental in forming a new political party, the Western Independence Party of Canada. At the founding convention of the party in Edmonton in October 1987, Dr. Marshall was elected interim leader. He remained active in the organization until 1993.
Dr. Marshall died August 10th, 2002 in Edmonton.
The International Health Program and International Health Exchange program originated in the Faculty of Medicine prior to 1983. In 2014, the Faculty of Medicine was renamed the Cumming School of Medicine and the International Health Program was renamed the Global Health and International Partnerships Program.
The mandate of the program is to provide leadership, funding and support for international experiences for students in the Cumming School of Medicine.