Affichage de 27235 résultatsNotice d'autorité
The Students' Union is a self-governing corporation under law, as established and regulated under The Universities Act and other statutes. Jack Black was the first Students' Union President in 1945. The Students' Union is a form of student government with the purpose of administering student affairs, developing student institutions, evolving and enforcing a system of student law and promoting the general welfare of the student body. All students who pay regular registration fees are automatically members.
The Students' Union governing body is the Students' Legislative Council (SLC). The SLC is the highest political decision-making body of the Students' Union and is responsible for providing direction and setting policy. Members of the SLC are elected in March, take office in May and serve a one-year term. The SLC is made up of 30 elected members - five executive members and 25 commissioners. One vice-president and four commissioners are elected to each of the External, Events and Finance Commissions. The Academic Commission has one vice-president and 13 commissioners - one commissioner from each under-graduate faculty. Each Commission may also have two appointed representatives, chosen from the general student body by the elected members of the Commission. Each Commission is responsible for developing policy and overseeing Students' Union activities in its respective area.
The Executive Cabinet consists of the President plus the Vice Presidents of the Academic, External, Events and Finance Commissions. The Cabinet is responsible for the administrative side of the Students' Union including overseeing the full-time staff members and administering the budget, commercial outlets, operations, services and the management of MacEwan Hall and MacEwan Student Centre.
The Academic Commission is responsible for the academic policy of the Students' Union as well as assisting students with academic appeals and grievances within the academic system. The Vice-President and commissioners sit on the General Faculties Council.
The External Commission is responsible for dealing with non-academic issues that affect students such as employment, government funding, student aid, transportation, housing, daycare and parking.
The Events Commission organizes extra-curricular activities including cabarets, films, speakers and theme weeks.
The Finance Commission is responsible for ensuring the appropriate administration of Students' Union funds. This Commission is also the Union's liaison with clubs and is responsible for determining the allocation of grants and loans to registered campus clubs.
The Students' Union publishes the yearbook for the University of Calgary. The title of the yearbook from 1947-1958 and 1959-1960 was the Evergreen and Gold. It was published specifically for the Calgary campus and contained different material than that of the Edmonton campus version. The yearbook has also been named Progrediamur (1958/1959) but since 1960/1961 it has been called The Tallystick.
The University Libraries are built on the holdings of the library of the Calgary Normal School which became the Calgary Branch Library of the University of Alberta in 1945. The Branch Library had its own branch librarian but the U of A's Chief Librarian was responsible for its administration and was advised by the GFC Library Committee. In 1960, it ceased to be a branch of the University Library in Edmonton and was responsible for its own budget, but was still under the supervision of the Chief Librarian in Edmonton until 1963. In 1964, the University of Alberta in Calgary gained autonomy in academic matters, and a Chief Librarian was appointed who apparently reported to the VP (Academic). The Chief Librarian was responsible for developing and promoting the provision of library facilities to support the academic programs and research requirements of all members of the University; and acted as the President's chief advisor in matters relating to the Library.
The Department of Library Services became part of the Division of Information Services (under the VP (Academic)) in 1971. The GFC Library Committee assumed full responsibility for policy matters while the Chief Librarian was responsible for their administration. In 1974 the Division of Information Services was dismantled and the Chief Librarian began reporting directly to the VP (Academic). The official title (according to statute) remained Chief Librarian but in 1979 the position became known as Director of Libraries. In 1988, the reporting relationship was transferred from the VP (Academic) to the Director of Information Services, head of the newly-formed Information Services, who reported to the VP (Academic) and Provost. By 1992, the Director of Libraries' title had been changed to Director, University Libraries and in 1997, the title reverted back to Director of Libraries.
In 2000, Information Services split to form the Learning Commons, Information Technologies (IT), and Information Resources (IR). The head of IR was responsible for the University Library, amongst other units, and took on the dual titles of Director of Information Resources and Director of Libraries. In 2006, the title Director of Information Resources was relabeled Vice-Provost (Libraries and Cultural Resources) and University Librarian.
By 2015, there were eight university libraries operated by Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR) on campus and across the city: the Taylor Family Digital Library, Doucette Library, Bennett Jones Law Library, Business Library, Gallagher Library, Health Sciences Library, Downtown Campus Library and the Library and Archives at The Military Museums. In addition, LCR also operated an off-campus High Density Storage Facility.
M. Isobel Grant, Calgary Normal School librarian since 1941, became Calgary Branch librarian in 1945 and served until 1957. Subsequent incumbents were Dorothy E. Ryder (Calgary Branch librarian, 1957-1964), Thomas MacCallum Walker (Chief Librarian, 1964-1971), Kenneth MacLean Glazier (Chief Librarian, 1971-1978), William R. Converse (Acting Chief Librarian, 1978-1979), Alan H. MacDonald (Director of Libraries, 1979-1992), Tom Eadie (Director, University Libraries, 1992-1997), Yvonne Hinks, (Acting Director of Libraries 1997-1998), Frits Pannekoek, (Director of Libraries, 1998-2000; Director of Information Resources, 2000-2005), Ann Davis (Acting Director of Information Resources, 2005-2006), Thomas Hickerson (Director of Information Resources, 2006; Vice-Provost (Libraries and Cultural Resources) and University Librarian, 2006-).
The primary function of the University Theatre Services department is to provide technical, box office, promotional, financial and managerial support, as required, for the productions of the Faculty of Fine Arts. The Department is also responsible for the management and operation of the University Theatre and the Boris Roubakine Recital Hall. Specific services offered to the Department of Drama include ensuring the operational condition of the University Theatre, set construction, lighting, sound, painting, inventory control, cartage and storage. Services offered to the Department of Music include setup for concerts, recitals and rehearsals, stage management and recording of performances. Services offered to the program of Dance include design services, technical direction and performance management. The University Theatre Services, through its manager, reports directly to the Office of the Vice-President (Services) who shall be assisted by an advisory committee known as the University Theatres Advisory Committee.
The first meeting of the University Theatre Advisory Committee was held in June, 1981. The Committee's terms of reference were the development, administration and review of policy associated with the general responibilities, organizational relationships and budget guidelines of the Department of University Theatres Services. The Committee advised the VP (Services) on matters relating to the daily management and operations of the University Theatre and the Boris Roubakine Recital Hall
The University of Calgary's vice-presidents are appointed by its Board of Governors, which has been granted this power by The Universities Act as well as the authority to assign duties to the vice-presidents on the recommendation of the President. The Vice-President (Finance and Services) has been assigned overall responsibility for the business affairs of the University: the implementation of approved operating and capital budgets and the supervision of financial control and reporting functions. With respect to capital projects, the VP(Finance and Services) works with both federal and provincial government officials regarding financial arrangements and has responsibility for building projects once the construction contract has been approved. This position carries general responsibility for ancillary services including parking, the bookstore, food services University housing, and printing services; as well as the University's physical plant and employee relations. The VP (Finance and Services) is an ex officio member of the University Planning Committee and the Facilities and Services Planning Committee.
The position of VP (Finance and Services) was created with the merging of two vice-presidencies, Vice-President (Finance) and Vice-President (Services, Facilities and Physical Planning), in the summer of 1985. These vice-presidencies were established in the 1960s, although they underwent a number of changes in name and responsibilities.
The origins of the position of Vice-President (Finance) can be traced back to the authority of The Universities Act, which provided for a Chief Business Officer. While a Business Officer had been appointed for the University of Alberta, Calgary in 1964, it appears that a Vice-President (Business) was not appointed at the University of Calgary until 1967. In 1969, a Review of Structures and Functions identified the problematic isssue of the financing of academic policy, and specifically the development of annual operating and capital budgets. It was recommended that a Business and Finance Policy Committee be established and that a vice-president be attached to it as its executive officer. The VP(Business) was renamed Vice-President (Business and Finance). This position was responsible for the supervision of business operations and services as Chief Business Officer and for recommending policies pertaining to these matters; the administration of departments and services other than academic or student affairs, such as Auxiliary Services; the development, implementation and supervision of procedures for budgeting; and participation in the preparation of annual estimates and budgets in association with the President and Vice-President (Academic). By 1971, the VP(Business and Finance) was the executive officer of the Business and Finance Policy Committee, the executive officer of the University Budget Committee, and supervised the annual operating and capital resources policy through the President's Executive Advisory Committee. In 1972, the name of this position was changed to Vice-President (Finance). Harvey W. Bliss was appointed Vice-President (Business) in 1967, and served as Vice-President (Business and Finance) and then Vice-President (Finance) until the position was discontinued in 1985 and merged with the Vice-President (Services, Facilities and Physical Planning).
The position of Vice-President (Services, Facilities and Physical Planning) had its origins in the position of Vice-President (Capital Resources), created in 1969 in response to the Review of Administrative Structures and Functions. The Review pointed to the problems the University was having in translating academic policy into physical development. It was recommended that a Capital Resources Policy Committee be established and a Vice-President (Capital Resources) be attached to it as its executive officer. This position would be responsible for the provision of accomodation and its utilization, inventory of space and redistribution of space, Buildings and Grounds, Technical Services and Campus Planning; the translation of approved academic plans and programs into the required physical space and equipment; and the correlation of physical planning with academic and finance policy. The VP(Capital Resources) apparently prepared annual capital budget requests to the BOG, implemented and administered approved capital budgets, and liaised with officials of provincial and federal departments regarding capital funding of approved projects. In ca.1972, the name of VP(Capital Resources) was changed to Vice-President (Services), perhaps to reflect the responsiblity for ancillary services such as housing, food services, bookstore, and printing being added to the position. The name was again changed in 1974 to Vice-President (Services, Facilities and Physical Planning), although it appears to have been commonly referred to as Vice-President (Services). Finley Alexander Campbell was VP(Capital Resources) from 1970 to September 1971, and H.A.R. de Paiva served as Acting VP(Capital Resources), VP(Capital Resources), VP(Services) and VP(Services, Facilities and Physical Planning) from October 1971 until the position was discontinued in 1984 and its responsibilities merged with that of VP(Finance) into Vice-President (Finance and Services).
The merging of these two vice-presidencies occurred as a result of a major review and restructuring of responsiblities at the vice-presidential level, and was approved by the BOG. The review committee recommended that the setting of University-wide priorities at the senior administrative level be strengthened and a mechanism for the more complete integration of academic and financial planning be established. The committee recommended that a Vice-President (Priorities and Planning) be appointed to be responsible for matters pertaining to academic and financial priorities and planning. Responsibility for allocation and distribution of space, and preparation of the capital budget which had formerly belonged to VP(Services) was transferred to the new VP(Priorities and Planning); and the development of operating budgets, the integration of financial policy with academic and services policy, and the supervision of Administrative Systems which had formerly been the responsibility of the VP(Finance) would also be transferred to the VP(Priorities and Planning).
Incumbents in the position of VP(Finance and Services) have been E. Brian Tinker (1985-1991), Keith Winter (1991-2002), Phyllis Heaphy (2002), Peter Valentine (Interim 2002-2003), Michael W. McAdam (2003-2008), Gail Stephens (2008-2009), Johathan (Jake) Gebert (2009-2014), and Linda Dalgetty (2014-).
The University of Calgary's vice-presidents are appointed by its Board of Governors, which has been granted this power by The Universities Act as well as the authority to assign duties to the vice-presidents on the recommendation of the President. The position of Vice-President (Priorities and Planning) was established in 1984 to strengthen the setting of University-wide priorities at the senior administrative level and to better integrate academic and financial planning. The VP(Priorities and Planning) was responsible for matters pertaining to academic and financial priorities and planning: the integration of academic, research and service policies with financial policies; the development of budgetary policy, annual and long range budgets, and information systems; setting of space and building priorities; and the integration of computer systems and the development of policies and strategies for computing. The Vice-President served as a member of The University Budget Committee and the Institutional Policy and Priorities Committee.
Responsibilities were transferred from other vice-presidents with the restructuring at the senior administrative level in 1984 when the position was created. Long-range academic planning passed from the Vice-President (Academic) to VP(Priorities and Planning) as did responsibility for Institutional Analysis and the Institutional Policy and Priorities Committee. Development of the operating budgets passed from the Vice-President (Finance) to VP(Priorities and Planning) as did integration of financial policy with academic and services policy, supervision of Administrative Systems, and development of budgetary policy. Development of capital budgets was transferred from Vice-President (Services) to VP(Priorities and Planning) as well as the allocation, alteration and distribution of space, and preparation of the capital budget. The development of budgetary policy was performed in consultation with Vice-President (Finance and Services).
The VP(Priorities and Planning) position was discontinued in 1989 and its functions transferred to the other vice-presidents. For example, long-range academic planning was returned to VP(Academic); development of budgets, integration of financial policy with academic and services policy, supervision of Administrative Systems, and development of budgetary policy was transferred to VP(Finance and Services) as was allocation, alteration and distribution of space. Finley Alexander Campbell served as VP(Priorities and Planning) from November 1984-1989.
The University of Calgary's vice-presidents are appointed by its Board of Governors, which has been granted this power by The Universities Act as well as the authority to assign duties to the vice-presidents on the recommendation of the President. The Vice-President (Research) reports to the President and is responsible for all areas concerning research, including overall responsibility for research policy and administration; development of research strategy; and supervision of University computer facilities. This includes developing and implementing research policies and guidelines; identifying and encouraging new research and technological initiatives; providing for research space, equipment and program needs; and fostering public awareness of the research expertise at the University and the value of University research and technology research. The VP(Research) acts as a liaison with research funding councils and agencies; business and industry leaders; federal, provincial and municipal politicians and civil servants; tenants and prospective tenants of University Research Park; and The Calgary Research and Development Authority. The Vice-President is an ex officio member of the Research Policy Committee and the University Planning Committee, and ex officio chair of the General Faculties Council University Research Policy and Grants Committee.
Responsibility for research on campus was transferred in 1973 from the University Grants Office in the Faculty of Graduate Studies to the newly-created Associate Vice-President (Research) who reported to the Vice-President (Academic). This change was made as a result of the president's review of the University's research policies and related processes and management. It was decided to appoint a senior research officer to be in charge of general supervision of academic operations related to research, who would facilitate the development of research policies and related processes and management, with a view to developing a research program for the University. Some functions previously carried out by the University Grants Officer were taken over by the Associate Vice-President (Research) such as the development, operations, management and liaison functions related to University research grants, visiting scientists, and post-doctorate assistants; involvement with the University Grants Committee, President's Committee on Patents, and President's Advisory Committee on Senior Awards; and operations related to research grant applications, research contracts, patents, publication and copyright. The University Grants Office retained its other functions. It appears that The University Grants Office changed its reporting from the Faculty of Graduate Studies to the Associate VP (Research) around this time, and that its name was changed to Research Grants Office in 1974. The title of Associate VP (Research) was changed to Associate Vice-President (Academic) in 1974; in 1979, the position was changed to Vice-President (Research). This latter change reflected the expansion of research activity at the University: the amount of research grants and medical research trust funds was increasing, and the Research Park and Institutes on campus were growing in importance. In addition, a need was felt for national and international representation in the research field by an officer of appropriate rank, and for the development of an overall research strategy. Briefly, from ca. 2003-2007, the position was called Vice-President (Research and International), but it reverted to VP (Research) in 2007.
Incumbents in this position have been: W.R.N. Blair (Associate VP (Research) and Associate VP (Academic), 1973-); Keith Cooper (Associate VP (Academic) and VP (Research), 1978-1984); Michael A. Ward (VP (Research), 1984-1985); Don Detomasi (Acting VP (Research), 1985); Michael A. Ward (VP (Research), 1985-1992]); C.H. Langford (VP (Research), (1992-1998), Len Bruton (1998-2000), Keith Archer (Interim VP (Research), 2000-2002), Dennis R. Salahub (VP (Research and International), Rose Goldstein (VP (Research), 2007-2010 ), Jon Meddings (Interim VP (Research), 2010-2011), Ed McCauley (VP (Research), 2011-).
Campus Security works closely with the university community, Calgary Police Service and other agencies to maintain the University of Calgary as a pleasant place to live, work and study. Uniformed Campus Security officers are on duty 24 hours a day-year round to respond to security needs and emergency situations. The office also presents informative lectures on personal security and robbery prevention, offers security audits for offices and labs, and supports the student-run volunteer program Safewalk.
Literary agency for George Ryga. Established in 1976 as Ryga & Associates. Changed name to George Ryga & Associates in 1990. Continues to act on behalf of G. Ryga's literary estate.
In 1957, the Government of the Province of Alberta appointed a Royal Commission consisting of six commissioners headed by Senator Donald Cameron. The Commission was instructed to make a "comprehensive survey of the various phases of the elementary and secondary school system of the province with particular attention to programs of study and pupil achievement". The Commission presented its report to the Government on November 9, 1959. The report consisted of a majority presentation signed by five of the six commissioners and a minority submission signed by Commissioner John S. Cormack.
Canadian playwright and musician.