Mostrando 27227 resultadosRegistro de autoridad
In 1960 the Faculty of Arts and Science began offering the subject of Psychology. The Department of Psychology was formed in 1962 in the same Faculty. In 1977, the department moved to the newly formed Faculty of Social Sciences. The Department offers a BA, BSc, BA Honours, BSc Honours degrees as well as graduate work leading to a MSc, and PhD.
In April 2010, all departments from the Faculty of Social Sciences were combined with those of the Faculties of Fine Arts, Humanities and Communication and Culture into the Faculty of Art.
Heads of the Department of Psychology: W.R.N. Blair, 1966-1972; R.E. Schaub, 1972-1973 (Acting); W.R.N. Blair, 1973-1974; R.E. Schaub, 1974-1979; W.R.N. Blair, 1979-1980; R.E. Schaub, 1980-1981; D.G. Jamieson, 1981-1985; W.A.S. Smith, 1985-1986; D.W. Kline, 1986-1996; B. Bland, 1996-2006; K. Dobson, 2006-2011; D. Hodgins, 2011-.
Dr. Howard Delbert Palmer (1946-1991) was born to Asael Delbert Palmer and Mable Johansen in Lethbridge, Alberta on December 17, 1946. He was the grandson of Asael Exile Palmer of Lethbridge, the first director of the Lethbridge Experimental Farm (later the Government of Canada Agricultural Research Station). Asael Exile was a Mormon who, as a child, was forced to flee the United States for Canada with his family after his father was persected by the American government for having several wives. Asael Exile apparently had a formative influence on Howard and his interest in history.
Howard Palmer was granted his BA in History from Brigham Young University, Utah in 1968, his MA in History from the University of Alberta in 1971, and his PhD in History from York University in 1973. He was employed by the Department of the Secretary of State for the Government of Canada as the Research Director of the Multicultural Program from September 1971 to July 1973. Palmer then worked at the University of Calgary as a member of the academic staff from July 1973 until shortly before his death.
Dr. Palmer was fluent in English and Spanish with reading abilities in French. Palmer's main area of research appears to have been multiculturalism and immigration. He was a prolific writer with one of his major works being "Alberta: a new history" which he wrote with his wife Tamara Palmer. Dr. Palmer died on March 15, 1991. The Howard Palmer Memorial Scholarship was instituted for students in the Department of History at the University of Calgary with concentration in Western Canadian History or Western Canadian Studies. The Canadian Ethnic Studies Association (CESA) instituted the Howard Palmer Scholarship Award in 2003 for graduate students who are members of CESA.
Dance Montage was founded in 1969 growing from a showcase for Physical Education students' work to an annual extravaganza. It is presented each November by the Faculty of Kinesiology of the University of Calgary. Dance Montage brings together dancers and choreographers from the university and Calgary community with a cast of performers ranging from relative beginners, to serious dance students, to former professional dancers.
The Office of Gender and Equity Issues is the coordinating centre for gender, sexual harassment and employment equity issues in the Faculty of Medicine. The office is led by the Director who reports to the Dean of the faculty. Upon creation, the primary goal of the office was to promote equal participation in employment and education for women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilites, and visible minorities. Supporting this were the goals to discourage discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, to collaborate with other universities and community groups with similar mandates or goals, and to promote equity in the content and teaching of curricula, to foster equity in research, and to foster equity in participation in committees and leadership positions for women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilties, and visible minorities.
Dr. Marshall was born on June 8th, 1930 in Prince Albert and was educated in Yorkton and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The family moved to Calgary in 1940 where Marshall attended Junior High and High School. Dr. Marshall received his BSc. from the University of Alberta in 1950 and his medical degree in 1954.
Postgraduate work started with an internship at the Calgary General Hospital, followed by two years in Montreal at the Royal Victoria and Montreal General Hospitals. Dr. Marshall then went to New York City, taking a year of surgery at Bellevue Hospital and then three years of urological training at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Marshall was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons and a Diplomat of the American Board of Urology. Dr. Marshall began his practice as a urological surgeon at the Royal Alexandria Hospital in Edmonont in 1962. From 1980 to 1982 he was chairman of the Communications Committee of the Alberta Medical Association.
Dr. Marshall has been involved with the western independence movement since 1981. He ran for the leadership of the Western Canada Concept Party in July 1984 in the first-ever satellite leadership convention, an idea concieved and developed by Dr. Marshall. Jack Ramsay won the leadership convention. Dr. Marshall later ran as a candidate in two Alberta provincial elections and in July 1987 he ran as an independent candidate in the federal by-election in the Yukon.
In August 1987 Dr. Marshall was one of a group of Albertans who were instrumental in forming a new political party, the Western Independence Party of Canada. At the founding convention of the party in Edmonton in October 1987, Dr. Marshall was elected interim leader. He remained active in the organization until 1993.
Dr. Marshall died August 10th, 2002 in Edmonton.
The International Health Program and International Health Exchange program originated in the Faculty of Medicine prior to 1983. In 2014, the Faculty of Medicine was renamed the Cumming School of Medicine and the International Health Program was renamed the Global Health and International Partnerships Program.
The mandate of the program is to provide leadership, funding and support for international experiences for students in the Cumming School of Medicine.
Gwynne Dyer was born in St. John's Newfoundland and educated at Memorial University (BA 1963), Rice University, Texas (MA, Military history, 1966) and the University of London (PhD, Military and Middle Eastern History, 1973). Dyer served in the Canadian, American and British navies. He was a lecturer in Military History at Canadian Forces College, Toronto (1964-1966); a senior lecturer in War Studies at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst (1973-1977) and an Associate Fellow in Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Oxford (1973-1975).
Dyer has worked as a freelance journalist, broadcaster and lecturer since leaving teaching in the 1970s. His syndicated columns on international affairs appear in a dozen languages in nearly 200 newspapers published in 40 countries around the world. Dyer, in collaboration with Tina Viljoen, has created a number of television series and radio documentaries on topics related to war, human politics and peacekeeping.
The Department of Electrical Engineering was formed in the Faculty of Engineering in 1967. In 1995/96, it became Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. In 2005, the Faculty of Engineering was renamed the Schulich School of Engineering.
Heads of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering:
TBA, 1967-1968; F.N. Trofimenkoff, 1968-1972; R.A. Stein (Acting Head), 1972-1973; F.N. Trofimenkoff, 1973-1978; L.T. Bruton, 1978-1982; G.S. Hope, 1982-1987; J.W. Haslett, 1987-1998; R.H. Johnston, 1998-2003; L.J. Leon, 2003-2006; A. Sesay, 2006-2011; W. Rosehart, 2011-2014; D. Westwick, 2014-.
The impetus for the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory (RAO) was initiated by Mr. Alexander (Sandy) Rothney Cross in December 1970 when he offered to donate a quarter section of land near Priddis, Alberta to the University. The Capital Resources Policy Committee passed a motion in June 1971 to proceed with a tree farm, animal farm and observatory on the land (the tree and animal farms never came to fruition). At Cross’s request, the observatory was named the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory to honour his mother’s side of the family. The site was officially opened in January 1972 by Dr. Margaret Burbidge, then Director of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, who unveiled the RAO’s sundial to symbolize the emergence of the University of Calgary onto the astronomical scene.
Cyril Challice, the Head of the Department of Physics, gave the initial planning of the site to Dr. T. Alan Clark who was joined in September 1971 by Dr. Eugene F.Milone; the two would become co-directors of the facility in 1975 and oversee its modest beginnings to a million-dollar research destination. The equipment first used was a 16 inch (.4 m) research grade telescope ordered by Clark from England with the initial photometer instrumentation obtained from the University of Virginia. This early photometer was modified over the years to become the Rapid Alternate Detection System (RADS), a system developed at the University of Calgary that allows for precision photometry through light cloud and that can adjust for variations in urban light reflections.
In the early 1980s, a Baker-Nunn satellite tracking camera was purchased for $.01 from the Cold Lake Air Force Base and transported to the RAO where it was installed in 1983. At the same time, Dr. George Coyne, then Director of the observatory at the Lunar and Planetary Lab in Tucson facilitated the acquisition of a 1.5 m metal mirror for the RAO. This became the basis of a $198,000 grant to build an alt-alt mounting for an infrared telescope to permit unblocked views of the entire sky and allow observations at the zenith where atmospheric distortion is minimal. The Cross Educational Foundation provided the funds for a building to house the apparatus and a dedication ceremony for the new 1.5 m, 8 tonne infrared telescope (IRT) was held on May 6, 1987. Dr. George Coyne, S.J., now Director of the Vatican Observatory, dedicated the telescope; Mr. Cross officially cut the ribbon. The telescope was renamed the ARCT or the Alexander Rothney Cross telescope to honour Sandy Cross who had donated more land and significant additional funding over the years. At the time, the RAO was Canada’s only dedicated infrared telescope facility, with its advantage of altitude and extreme dry air conditions that allowed for clear observations.
The 1.5 m mirror was replaced in 1993 by a new generation 1.8 m honeycomb mirror created in the Optical Sciences Centre of the University of Arizona. The Astrophysical Research Consortium at the Apache Point Observatory, New Mexico had offered in the late 1980s to fund ½ the costs of polishing the mirror in return for its short-term usage. Dr. Alan Clark developed the design for the mounting and oversaw its construction; first light was achieved through the newly upgraded 1.8 m telescope in January, 1996. A year later, the RAO celebrated its 25th anniversary.
In 2001, Dr. Milone submitted a grant to build a Visitor’s Centre at the site in order to expand outreach and teaching capabilities. The $400,000 submission was successful; the new Visitor’s Centre and teaching facility was official opened in 2005. Dr. Milone stepped down as Director of the RAO on September 1, 2004. Dr. Rene Plume became Acting Director for a year until Philip Langill was named Director.
The Future Group was created in the summer of 2000 with the aim of working with governments, non-governmental organizations, businesses and other people in areas of the world affected by an international crisis. Their first project was to send a team of four people to Cambodia in May-July 2001 to tackle the problems of child sex slavery and trafficking. The team members were Benjamin Perrin, Shuvaloy Majumdar, Nicholas Gafuik and Stephanie Andrews. Their project had five parts: building relationships between the non-governmental organizations already at work in Cambodia, developing an education program against child prostitution targeted at high-risk children, running a responsible tourism campaign, facilitating the establishment of drop-in shelters and writing a report on the situation, actions taken and proposals. The final report was published and distributed to the international community, businesses, NGOs, media and the Government of Cambodia.