Mostrar 27227 resultadosRegistro de autoridade
Henry James Abraham Goodman was born on July 21, 1917 in Toronto, but spent most of his youth in Vancouver. He received a B.A. (honours), an M.A. in history from the University of British Columbia an M.Ed. in Educational Foundations from Harvard University and a Doctorate in Education (EdD) in the field of curriculum development and programmed learning from UCLA (1968). In 1948 Dr. Goodman took up a position as an instructor at the Altoona Undergraduate Centre of the Pennsylvania State University where he remained until 1950. He then returned to Vancouver and taught high school social studies for the Vancouver public School Board, eventually becoming Social Studies Department Head.
Dr. Goodman was hired by the University of Calgary in 1964. Throughout his educational and professional careers Dr. Goodman was interested in the world encyclopedia and world brain/world mind notions espoused by Jan Comenius (or Komensky) and H.G. Wells. This abiding interest is demonstrated in the range of research subjects Dr. Goodman pursued, all with the aim of creating a global information or knowledge system that would be accessible to all and exist for the betterment of mankind. Dr. Goodman's early research and teaching at the University of Calgary was in the area of computer aided or assisted instruction or learning, an extension of his doctoral thesis work. He also pursued research in the field of terminology standards which he called informedia terminology.
In 1974-1975 his sabbatical research took him to the Mental Health Research Institute at the University of Michigan as a visiting research professor. In 1975, Dr. Goodman and Dr. Manfred Kochen co-founded the World Mind Group, a group of individuals from a variety of professional and educational areas committed to furthering the concept of the world brain and the world mind. Dr. Goodman developed the Register III (RIII) system as a tool to bring the world brain into existence. Throughout his career Dr. Goodman participated in a wide variety of conferences, presenting and publishing papers, and in organizations, mainly the American Society of Information Science (ASIS) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
Dr. Goodman retired from teaching in 1982 and was given the title professor emeritus. He continues to pursue the world brain/world mind idea, participating in a workshop at the University of Calgary in 1997 which was in honour of his 80th birthday and continuing his research and writing in this field.
Dr. Goodman died in Calgary on December 29, 2013.
It was perceived in 1983 that there was a need to study the role of computers in the instructional and research development of The University if Calgary. In April 1983 the General Faculties Council Research Policy and Grants Committee approved a preliminary proposal for the establishment of a University affiliated Computer Assisted Learning Institute which would allow the University to provide specialized assistance and support in the area of computer assisted learning. The Institutional Policy and Priorities Committee established the Committee on Computer Assisted Learning and subsequently approved its proposal. The purposes of the Institute for Computer Assisted Learning (ICAL) were to provide faculty members with the opportunity to develop expertise in computer assisted learning; to provide programming and lesson support, in conjunction with other University bodies working in computer assisted learning; to support the effective use of computer assisted learning through providing services in instructional development, computer programming and evaluation; to foster research and development in computer assisted learning; to provide access to the latest knowledge and information in all aspects of learning systems; to offer fellowship to members of faculty for research and development; and to provide a focus for University interactions with outside groups in the area of computer assisted learning. The Board of Governors of the University approved ICAL's establishment in 1984. ICAL closed down in 1989; W. Bruce Clark, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, was the director at the time.
Dr. George Self was born 6 November 1910 in Canso, Nova Scotia. After a short stint as a bank clerk, he became a teacher and taught for several years in Quebec. At the age of 23, he enrolled at McGill where he obtained his B.A. (1935) and M.A. (1938)
In 1943, he completed his PhD dissertation in International Relations at the University of Chicago and joined the Royal Canadian Navy, serving during the final two years of WWII. He then worked at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in Halifax and lectured in Public Administration at Dalhousie University.
George Self joined the University of Alberta, Calgary Branch in 1947 teaching economics. He founded the Department of History in which he taught for twenty years. Self was a member of the Map Collection Subcommittee of the university library in 1961-1962 and of the Library Maps and Atlas Committee in 1964-1965. Dr. Self retired in 1976 and spent his retirement in Calgary where he passed away 28 May 1985.
Sigma Xi (pronounced "chi"), The Scientific Research Society encourages original investigation in science by maintaining companionship among investigators through association with chapters and clubs; by holding meetings for the discussion of scientific subjects; by preparing and distributing scientific publications; by means such as "Grants-in-Aid of Research"; by presenting awards for excellence in research; and by maintaining lectureship programmes. Local clubs and chapters are governed by the Society's constitution and by-laws.
Sigma Xi, Calgary Chapter had its beginnings in 1965 when Dr. Richard P. Pharis, Department of Biology, started organizational activities. The University of Calgary Sigma Xi Club was installed in 1967, and monthly noon luncheon meetings started in fall of 1971. In its early years, the Club concentrated on arranging three public lectures a year, and in 1972, began offering the Student Research Prize. It obtained authorized club status in 1979 and was inaugurated as a chapter in 1980. The first president was D.J.I Fry, and the first secretary was Dr. Pharis.
The Evergreen and Gold is the official yearbook of the University of Alberta. It chronicles student life at the University of Alberta in Edmonton and is published annually by the Students' Union.
The University of Calgary celebrated its 25th Anniversary from April 1 to December, 1991. During that time, every Department and Faculty sponsored or hosted events to commemorate the anniversary. To keep a record of the various activities, the 25th Anniversary Committee requested that each Department and Faculty send to the Archives unique material documenting their plans and preparations.
The University of Calgary first established an ad hoc 25th Anniversary Committee in 1988 in order to oversee the planning of events that were to run from April 1 to December, 1991. The Secretariat's first official meeting was in March, 1990 under the Chair of Ted Sullivan. The development of the Secretariat's mission statement took into account not only the celebration of the University's achievements but also the celebration of the civic, business, research and cultural communities that had grown with and helped the University during the first 25 years. The events planned by the Secretariat were to embody the spirit of demonstrating, through scholarship, performance and professionalism the University's committment to excellence in teaching, research and community service. By soliciting city-wide support and participation, the Secretariat designed the events to thank those who had provided the foundations on which the University stood, to excite potential students about the future of the University and to strengthen the sense of community cooperation.
The Archaeological Association of the University of Calgary is an intermediary between students of archaeology, the Department of Archaeology, the University and the entire discipline. The Association's intermediary role is embodied in its name, Chacmool, which is taken from a Mayan reclining figure. The CHACMOOL is often interpreted as a god or spirit who played an intermediary role between priest and god. CHACMOOL was founded in 1968 and continues to provide opportunities, assistance and social events each year for all members. CHACMOOL publishes and sells the proceedings of the annual CHACMOOL conference, an international archaeology conference that attracts many well-known scholars. The executive for 1995/1996 is: Jennifer Carrol, President; Sarah Bleach, Vice President; Sharon Fortney, Treasurer; and Curtis Martin, Social Co-ordinator.
The Committee on Campus Smoking Policy was established "to investigate and bring forward recommendations toward the attainment of a smoking policy for the University which is in keeping with current social values". Stuart McKinnon, Assistant to the Vice-President (Finance and Services) was the Chair for the Committee. The Committee gathered and reviewed extensive background information on smoking in the workplace, including health-related information, legal and human rights considerations, news clippings and sample policies. The Committee then sent out 5,355 questionaires in the spring of 1987 to all full-time faculty, support staff and graduate students to document current smoking behavior and attitudes among those who would be affected by a campus smoking policy. The Students' Union Health Concerns Committee had previously surveyed undergraduate students in the fall of 1986.
54% of the 1987 surveys were returned and the Committee submitted a report to the General Faculties Council in October, 1987. The Committe recommended that a no-smoking policy should be instituted at the University. The Policy was passed by the GFC and the Board of Governors in January, 1988 and came into effect on May 1st, 1988. Subsequently, the Committee issued a second questionaire in 1991 to follow up on the effects of, and opinions about, the policy.