Affichage de 27259 résultatsNotice d'autorité
Herbert Stoker Armstrong was the first President of the University of Calgary. After serving as Dean of the Arts and Science Faculty at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, he came to the University of Alberta as Professor of Geology and Dean of the new Faculty of Science in 1962. He was appointed Vice-President (Academic) in 1963, and in 1964 became the first President of the University of Alberta at Calgary. When The University of Calgary received autonomy in 1966, he assumed the dual role of President and Vice-Chancellor, which he held until 1968.
The Canadian Centre for Learning Systems (CCLS), a non-profit organization for the development, evaluation and use of learning systems, was opened in April 1985 in cooperation with Calgary educational institutions such as The University of Calgary and Mount Royal College, and three corporate partners, Honeywell Canada, Control Data Canada and Reid Chartwell Canada Ltd. It served as a general information centre, engaging in joint venture and contract research and the establishment of "incubator facilities" for young inventors. The Centre's mandate was to provide professionals with the ability to control the opportunities of the information age by facilitating training sessions in the application of specific information technologies and products commercially available, by developing and coordinating educational sessions geared to targeted segments of the business community, by developing and coordinating continuing education sessions on information sources in specific subject areas geared to the information professional, and by facilitating and developing conferences and joint exhibitions of information technologies. Barbara Samuels, a senior administrator at The University of Calgary, was the first executive director of CCLS.
The Very Reverend David John Carter was born April 6, 1934 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. He received his BA from the University of Manitoba in 1958 and his L.Th from St. John's College, Winnipeg in 1960. From 1965 to 1969 he was the Anglican Chaplain to the University of Calgary, Mount Royal Junior College and SAIT. He served on the University of Calgary Senate from 1971 to 1977 and was a member of the Honorary Degree Committee and Chancellor's Nominating Committee (1974). Mr Carter was named the Dean of Cathedral Church of the Redeemer (Anglican) in June, 1969, the youngest Anglican Dean in the world.
Henry James Abraham Goodman was born on July 21, 1917 in Toronto, but spent most of his youth in Vancouver. He received a B.A. (honours), an M.A. in history from the University of British Columbia an M.Ed. in Educational Foundations from Harvard University and a Doctorate in Education (EdD) in the field of curriculum development and programmed learning from UCLA (1968). In 1948 Dr. Goodman took up a position as an instructor at the Altoona Undergraduate Centre of the Pennsylvania State University where he remained until 1950. He then returned to Vancouver and taught high school social studies for the Vancouver public School Board, eventually becoming Social Studies Department Head.
Dr. Goodman was hired by the University of Calgary in 1964. Throughout his educational and professional careers Dr. Goodman was interested in the world encyclopedia and world brain/world mind notions espoused by Jan Comenius (or Komensky) and H.G. Wells. This abiding interest is demonstrated in the range of research subjects Dr. Goodman pursued, all with the aim of creating a global information or knowledge system that would be accessible to all and exist for the betterment of mankind. Dr. Goodman's early research and teaching at the University of Calgary was in the area of computer aided or assisted instruction or learning, an extension of his doctoral thesis work. He also pursued research in the field of terminology standards which he called informedia terminology.
In 1974-1975 his sabbatical research took him to the Mental Health Research Institute at the University of Michigan as a visiting research professor. In 1975, Dr. Goodman and Dr. Manfred Kochen co-founded the World Mind Group, a group of individuals from a variety of professional and educational areas committed to furthering the concept of the world brain and the world mind. Dr. Goodman developed the Register III (RIII) system as a tool to bring the world brain into existence. Throughout his career Dr. Goodman participated in a wide variety of conferences, presenting and publishing papers, and in organizations, mainly the American Society of Information Science (ASIS) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
Dr. Goodman retired from teaching in 1982 and was given the title professor emeritus. He continues to pursue the world brain/world mind idea, participating in a workshop at the University of Calgary in 1997 which was in honour of his 80th birthday and continuing his research and writing in this field.
Dr. Goodman died in Calgary on December 29, 2013.
It was perceived in 1983 that there was a need to study the role of computers in the instructional and research development of The University if Calgary. In April 1983 the General Faculties Council Research Policy and Grants Committee approved a preliminary proposal for the establishment of a University affiliated Computer Assisted Learning Institute which would allow the University to provide specialized assistance and support in the area of computer assisted learning. The Institutional Policy and Priorities Committee established the Committee on Computer Assisted Learning and subsequently approved its proposal. The purposes of the Institute for Computer Assisted Learning (ICAL) were to provide faculty members with the opportunity to develop expertise in computer assisted learning; to provide programming and lesson support, in conjunction with other University bodies working in computer assisted learning; to support the effective use of computer assisted learning through providing services in instructional development, computer programming and evaluation; to foster research and development in computer assisted learning; to provide access to the latest knowledge and information in all aspects of learning systems; to offer fellowship to members of faculty for research and development; and to provide a focus for University interactions with outside groups in the area of computer assisted learning. The Board of Governors of the University approved ICAL's establishment in 1984. ICAL closed down in 1989; W. Bruce Clark, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, was the director at the time.
Dr. George Self was born 6 November 1910 in Canso, Nova Scotia. After a short stint as a bank clerk, he became a teacher and taught for several years in Quebec. At the age of 23, he enrolled at McGill where he obtained his B.A. (1935) and M.A. (1938)
In 1943, he completed his PhD dissertation in International Relations at the University of Chicago and joined the Royal Canadian Navy, serving during the final two years of WWII. He then worked at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in Halifax and lectured in Public Administration at Dalhousie University.
George Self joined the University of Alberta, Calgary Branch in 1947 teaching economics. He founded the Department of History in which he taught for twenty years. Self was a member of the Map Collection Subcommittee of the university library in 1961-1962 and of the Library Maps and Atlas Committee in 1964-1965. Dr. Self retired in 1976 and spent his retirement in Calgary where he passed away 28 May 1985.
Sigma Xi (pronounced "chi"), The Scientific Research Society encourages original investigation in science by maintaining companionship among investigators through association with chapters and clubs; by holding meetings for the discussion of scientific subjects; by preparing and distributing scientific publications; by means such as "Grants-in-Aid of Research"; by presenting awards for excellence in research; and by maintaining lectureship programmes. Local clubs and chapters are governed by the Society's constitution and by-laws.
Sigma Xi, Calgary Chapter had its beginnings in 1965 when Dr. Richard P. Pharis, Department of Biology, started organizational activities. The University of Calgary Sigma Xi Club was installed in 1967, and monthly noon luncheon meetings started in fall of 1971. In its early years, the Club concentrated on arranging three public lectures a year, and in 1972, began offering the Student Research Prize. It obtained authorized club status in 1979 and was inaugurated as a chapter in 1980. The first president was D.J.I Fry, and the first secretary was Dr. Pharis.
The Evergreen and Gold is the official yearbook of the University of Alberta. It chronicles student life at the University of Alberta in Edmonton and is published annually by the Students' Union.