Mostrando 27235 resultadosRegistro de autoridad
The Archaeological Association of the University of Calgary is an intermediary between students of archaeology, the Department of Archaeology, the University and the entire discipline. The Association's intermediary role is embodied in its name, Chacmool, which is taken from a Mayan reclining figure. The CHACMOOL is often interpreted as a god or spirit who played an intermediary role between priest and god. CHACMOOL was founded in 1968 and continues to provide opportunities, assistance and social events each year for all members. CHACMOOL publishes and sells the proceedings of the annual CHACMOOL conference, an international archaeology conference that attracts many well-known scholars. The executive for 1995/1996 is: Jennifer Carrol, President; Sarah Bleach, Vice President; Sharon Fortney, Treasurer; and Curtis Martin, Social Co-ordinator.
The Committee on Campus Smoking Policy was established "to investigate and bring forward recommendations toward the attainment of a smoking policy for the University which is in keeping with current social values". Stuart McKinnon, Assistant to the Vice-President (Finance and Services) was the Chair for the Committee. The Committee gathered and reviewed extensive background information on smoking in the workplace, including health-related information, legal and human rights considerations, news clippings and sample policies. The Committee then sent out 5,355 questionaires in the spring of 1987 to all full-time faculty, support staff and graduate students to document current smoking behavior and attitudes among those who would be affected by a campus smoking policy. The Students' Union Health Concerns Committee had previously surveyed undergraduate students in the fall of 1986.
54% of the 1987 surveys were returned and the Committee submitted a report to the General Faculties Council in October, 1987. The Committe recommended that a no-smoking policy should be instituted at the University. The Policy was passed by the GFC and the Board of Governors in January, 1988 and came into effect on May 1st, 1988. Subsequently, the Committee issued a second questionaire in 1991 to follow up on the effects of, and opinions about, the policy.
The Banff Centre Council was the governing body for the Banff Centre of Fine Arts and Centre for Continuing Education. The Centre had been running since 1933 when it was set up as a Department of the University of Alberta. Stewardship was transferred to the University of Calgary in 1966 and in 1971 the Centre was administered for the first time by an independent council, although still under the aegis of the University of Calgary. The Council was appointed by the Lieutenant Governor and consisted of the following personnel: a chairman; 5 persons nominated by the the Governors of the University of Calgary; 1 person each from the other Universities in Alberta; 5 persons nominated by the Minister of Education (2 representing other colleges and institutions, 1 from the Department of Education and 2 from the general public); 1 person nominated by the Minister of Indian Affiars. The Council's mandate was the prepararation, establishment and operation of programs, workshops and seminars, and also the preparation of development plans including academic plans, campus development and annual budgets. The Banff Centre became autonomous from the University in April, 1978.
The University of Calgary Bookstore is an Ancillary Services Department which is headed by the Director of Ancillary Services. The Director reports to Vice-President (Finance and Services) and is responsible for developing policies and supervising and directing operations for the Ancillary Services Departments. A Bookstore was maintained for students in Calgary after the 1959 calendar year. After the University gained autonomy, the Controller was responsible for the Bookstore's administration. By 1969 it was administered by a Supervisor, Auxiliary Services, which reported to the Vice-President (Business and Finance). Between 1972-1975 this Supervisor was renamed Director of Support Services (1972-1975). In 1975 the Support Services office closed and the Director's functions were transferred to the Vice-President (Services, Facilities and Physical Planning). It appears that a Support Services Manager was also appointed at this time to be directly responsible for the Bookstore. By 1984 Ancillary Services was formed and the Bookstore fell into this area. In 1985 Ancillary Services reported to the newly-formed Vice-President (Finance and Services). The Bookstore was responsible for marketing efforts on campus for the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Bill Sykes was Marketing Manager at that time.
The Deans' Council has been empowered by The Universities Act to advise the President regarding academic matters, to act as an executive body for the General Faculty Council, to authorize lecturing and teaching by others than staff members, and to exercise disciplinary jurisdiction with respect to students. It functions in an advisory capacity to the Board of Governors and the General Faculties Council as well as the President. In 1967 it consisted of the President and the deans of the different faculties, but by 1982 the Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-President (Academic) and the Director of Libraries were also on the Council. Secretaries of the Dean's Council have been C.W.H. Linton, 1967-1968; Ian Adam (Acting Secretary), November 1968-February 1969; and W.F.M. Stewart, -1980. The Executive Assistant to the President now serves as Secretary to Deans' Council and to its Executive Committee.
Physical planning on the University of Alberta at Calgary campus from 1960 to 1966 was carried out by the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. In about 1966 this position was divided between the new Campus Planning Department, responsible for campus physical development, and the Department of Building and Grounds, responsible for coordination of construction projects. These departments reported to the Vice-President (Capital Resources), and later the Vice-President (Services). By 1976 the departments were merged into one Department of Physical Plant which provided, operated, and maintained University buildings and works; managed related services; and provided staff and leadership for the planning, design and construction of new and modified facilities. In about 1982 the Department was divided into the Campus Development Department, which provided for the University's physical environment including design and construction administration, and the Department of Buildings and Grounds which was responsible for the operation and maintenance of the physical environment and services. Physical Plant was again unified by 1989 and the former Campus Development's responsibilities were divided between Physical Plant's Campus Development Major Project Group and the Campus Space Management Division. The name of the unit changed to the Department of Facilities Management in 1998.
In 2009, Facilities Management joined with Facilities Development and the Office of Sustainbility to become Facilities Management and Development, known as FMD or FM+D, under Vice-President Facilities. In 2014, the name was streamlined to Facilities.
The Campus Ecology Committee was established in 1978 under Dr. Stephen Herrero (Chair) for the purpose of protecting existing areas that might have some ecological and teaching value to the University. The Committee's objectives were to foster and disseminate information on natural and semi-natural campus areas, to inventory vegetation and wildlife, explore possibilities for long-range planning and identification of campus natural areas and to review the impact of campus management policies on natural areas.
The first non-credit programs were offered in Calgary through a branch of the University of Alberta Department of Extension. The University of Calgary Division of Continuing Education was formed in 1965 under the Vice-President (Academic) area. Headed by a Director, it informed the University community of the educational needs of society and provided the public with opportunities for a part-time educational experience through means such as summer session and evening credit programs and an extension program of non-credit courses, workshops, seminars and institutes. In 1976 the Division administered a lecture series for senior citizens by Grant MacEwan.
In 1977, the Division of Continuing Education became the Faculty of Continuing Education. In 2004, Continuing Education ceased being a faculty and became an academic unit called University of Calgary Continuing Education. In its revised role, it continued to work with faculties to identify, design and market high quality educational opportunities to lifelong adult learners in the community.
Deans of the Faculty of Continuing Education: R.S. Chapman, 1978-1983; A.B. Hamilton, 1983-1988; D.M. Kirby, 1988-1994; T.P. Keenan, 1994-2003; John Humphrey, 2003-2004 (Acting Dean).
The University of Alberta Faculty of Arts and Sciences opened a branch in Calgary in 1951 and offered the first year of a BA or BSc degree. This event added to the U of A's presence in Calgary: Calgary Normal School had become a Calgary branch of the U of A's Faculty of Education in 1945 and offered Arts and Science courses. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences offered a second year of a BA or BSc in 1959 and full degrees in 1960.
Indicative of the growing autonomy of the University of Alberta, Calgary, the Faculty gained its own dean in 1955. Until ca.1968, degrees offered by the Faculty were of three years in duration. In 1969, the General Faculties Council approved the addition of a four-year program.
In October, 1970 the Advisory Committee on Teaching Evaluation (or Baker Committee) was established by the Striking Committee of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences to recommend to the Dean of Arts & Sciences methods to improve teaching and procedures to adopt for the fair and effective evaluation of teachers. Dr. J.A. Baker was the Chair of the Committee. A preliminary report was sent to the Dean in January, 1971 and the procedures noted in the report were adopted later that year. The procedures underwent a review process in 1973 and 1974.
In 1976, the Faculty was divided into the faculties of Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences, and the University College.
Deans of the Faculty of Arts and Science:
W.H. Johns, 1955-1958; D.E. Smith, 1958-1962; unknown, 1962-1963; M.H. Scargill, 1963-1964; T.M. Penelhum, 1964-1967; B.G Wilson, 1968-1971; R.W. Wright, 1971-1973; R.G. Weyant, 1973-1976; N.R. Parsons, 1976-1977.
In 1945, by agreement between the Government of Alberta and the University of Alberta, teacher education became the responsibility of the University. Prior to that time the education of the vast majority of prospective teachers was carried out in the Normal Schools of the province, one of which had operated in Calgary since 1906. The Calgary Branch of the University of Alberta opened on the former Normal School/Technical Institute campus in north Calgary in 1946, and all students in attendance registered in the Faculty of Education. The program was provided by faculty in Education and in Arts and Science. A Dean of Education was appointed in 1962, but the Faculty remained part of the U of A Faculty of Education until 1963 when a separate Faculty of Education was formally established in Calgary. Calgary Branch staff meetings were begun in 1945, and Calgary faculty attended the Faculty of Education Council in Edmonton.
Associate Dean (Academic) (1961-1985) had responsiblity for curriculum, calendar, early childhood education, practicum, inservice, general academic matters. Associate Dean (Administration) (1950-1973) had responsiblity for chair or membership of university and faculty committees, membership of external organizations, representation to government, internal faculty matters. Associate Dean (Student Affairs) (1966-1974) had responsibility for admissions, scholarships, grade summaries, curriculum, new building plans.
In 2013, the Faculty of Education was renamed the Werklund School of Education.
Deans of the Faculty of Education: H.T. Coutts, 1960-1961; H.S. Baker, 1961-1970; A.A. Gibb, 1970-1971 (Acting Dean); John Macdonald, 1971-1975; F.D. Oliva, 1975-1976 (Acting Dean); R.F. Lawson, 1976-1986; F.D. Oliva, 1986-1994; W.I.S. Winchester, 1994-1999; A.V. LaGrange, 1999-2007; B. Clark, 2007-2009 (Acting Dean); D. Sumara, 2009-.