Showing 27227 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
Down + Livesey Architects is a Calgary-based architectural and urban design firm established in 1995 by its two principals, David A. Down and Graham Livesey. David Down received his B.A. from the University of Victoria and his Master of Architecture from the University of Calgary in 1987. He is a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and an Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Environmental Design at the University of Calgary. From 1990 to 1995, Down was senior project manager for Jenkins-Sturgess Architects on a number of projects, including Chuzenji Kanaya Hotel in Japan and Connaught Garden Townhouses in Calgary. Since 2005 he joined the City of Calgary and is currently the Senior Architect and Chief Urban Designer with the City. Born in Vancouver, Graham Livesey is a professor in the Master of Architecture Program (School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape) at the University of Calgary. He received his Bachelor of Architecture in 1984 and his Master of Architecture in 1991 from McGill University and his PhD from the Faculty of Architecture at TUDelft in 2013. Livesey is a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada and since 2014 he has been a regional correspondent for Canadian Architect. Livesey has published two books with the University of Calgary Press, Passages: Explorations of the Contemporary City and Gordon Atkins Architecture: 1960-1995, and he is co-editor of the Princeton Architectural Press publication Canadian Modern Architecture: 1967 to the Present. He worked previously in Montreal and London, England, and he was the project architect for Rick Mather Architects’ Zen Montreal Restaurant and Arcop Associates’ Macdonald-Harrington Building at McGill University. From 1995 to 2004, Down + Livesey Architects was recognized for its expertise in residential developments, art gallery design, administration facilities, bottle recycling facilities, and urban design. Among the notable projects of Down + Livesey are the Uptown Bottle Depot (Calgary, 1997-1998), Bliss Residence (Bragg Creek, 1998-2001), Westmount Road Development (Calgary, 1999-2001), the Art Gallery of Calgary (Calgary, 2001-2003), Alberta College of Art & Design Expansion (Calgary, 2000-2002), Discovery House (Calgary, 1999-2004), Greystones Condominiums (Calgary, 2001-2002), Vulcan County Administration Building (Vulcan, 2001-2003), Grande Prairie Public Library/Prairie Art Gallery (with Teeple Architects, Grande Prairie, 2003-2004). The firm has been the recipient of a Masonry Design Award of Merit for the Uptown Bottle Depot in 1998 and a Prairie Design Award of Merit in 2000 for 2112 Westmount Road. The firm was dissolved in 2004..
William (Bill) G. Grierson was born 24 July 1923 in St. Catharines, Ontario, to Ivan Grierson and Annie Gillespie Grierson. He grew up in Toronto and attended the North Toronto Collegiate Institute from 1936-1941. Grierson served in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals during World War II, running communications lines throughout southern Ontario. In 1945, Grierson enrolled in the Ontario College of Art, later transferring to the University of Toronto School of Architecture, which was located in Ajax following the war. While a student, Grierson studied under Dr. Eric Arthur, the distinguished architectural historian and critic, from whom Grierson developed an appreciation of early Ontario architecture and landscape. In the summer months during his studies Grierson worked at the Vancouver firm of Gardiner Thornton and Partners. Grierson graduated from the University of Toronto in 1950 and began work at John B. Parkin Associates in Toronto. In 1957 Grierson married Joan Robinson and a year later he left John B. Parkin Associates to start his own firm, Grierson & Walker Architects, with Howard Walker.
In 1962 Grierson became a partner in The Architect's Partnership, which became Banz, Brook, Carruthers, Grierson & Shaw Architects (1962-1964), then Banz Brook Carruthers Grierson Shaw Architects (1964-1969), and later Brook Carruthers Grierson Shaw Architects (1969-1974). Notable projects during this period include the Highland Avenue coach house (1962), Old George Place (1965), Ferguson cottage Little Bear Lake (1965), the Imperial Oil Service Centre in Maple (1966), the Toronto French School (1970), and Table Rock in Georgian Bay (1971). In 1975 Grierson left the partnership and founded his own private practice of William G. Grierson Architect Inc. (1975-2001). Among the major projects from this period are the Northwood Pulp and Timber Office in Prince George, B.C. (1974-1977, 1981-1982), the Lowther Avenue coach house (1983), Northwest Pine Island, Georgian Bay (1991), Jacklin Island, Georgian Bay (1994), and Poplar Hill, the Grierson family house (1995). The majority of the working drawings for Grierson’s projects were produced by the Dutch-Canadian draftsman, Keith Hoorn.
Grierson started teaching at the University of Toronto School of Architecture in 1970 where he taught design until 1983. He also served for a time as president of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario.
Over his career Grierson garnered numerous awards for his buildings including a Massey Award selection for Ferguson cottage Little Bear Lake (1970), the Ontario Masons Relations Council Design Programme Design Award (1966), a Massey Award selection (1967), and the Ontario Association of Architects Tourist Industry Design Award (1967) for the Imperial Oil Service Centre in Maple, the Ontario Masons Relations Council Design Programme Award of Merit for the Toronto French School (1971), an Illuminating Engineering Society of North America Lighting Design Award (1978), the Urban Design Awards Office Building Award of Excellence for the Northwood Pulp and Timber Office in Prince George, B.C. (1980), an Ontario Renews Award for achievement in the category of Non-residential to Residential Renovation for the Lowther Avenue coach house (1984), and a Letter of Commendation from Heritage Toronto for alterations to 110 Inglewood Drive in Toronto (1989). Grierson’s design projects reflect his deep appreciation and respect for historic Ontario architecture, combined with his modern approach to siting, lighting, and sustainable design. His nearly 40 year practice was particularly known for its specialization in the design of historic residences in the Toronto area and the many summer homes and cottages he designed in Georgian Bay and across rural Ontario. Grierson died in Toronto in 2001.
Richard Hunter was raised in Arizona. He studied architecture at the University of Colorado and the School of Architecture at the University of Oklahoma. After graduating from the University of Oklahoma in 1958, Hunter established his practice initially in California and Alaska before he moved to Victoria, British Columbia, in 1968. His work is influenced by the American organic school, notably Frank Lloyd Wright and Bruce Goff, and the drawings of German architect Eric Mendelsohn. Hunter’s major projects were largely residences located in Victoria and the Pacific Coast area, including Cook Residence, House for Jean-Louis Denux, House for Margaret Haines, his own residence, Hunter Residence, which he worked on for over 30 years beginning in 1969, House Addition for Jim & Phillippa Kerr, Killam Residence, Martin Residence, Pumple House, Rankin Residence, The Rose Residence, Garden for Mr. & Mrs. Ken Sebryk, and Sievert Residence. Projects outside of the Victoria area include the Intermediate Care Home in Terrace, B.C., the Mt. Baldy Zen Centre and Bathhouse in California, House for Deborah Pomeroy and the Rabinowitz Residence, both in Fairbanks, Alaska, House and Garden for Sasaki Roshi in California, and House and Garden for Motozo and Haruko Torii in Kyoto, Japan. Richard Hunter lives in Victoria, B.C.
Henry Yorke Mann was born 15 August 1930 in Rossland, British Columbia, to parents Richard and Barbara Mann. His father was a building contractor and master craftsman carpenter in Rossland. While growing up Mann worked summers and weekends with his father and his grandfather, Henry George Mann, learning carpentry and concrete work. Mann completed his senior matriculation in 1949 at Trail, B.C., and the same year entered Washington State College, Pullman, WA, in mechanical engineering on a ski scholarship. A competitive skier since his youth, Mann trained to compete in the 1952 Olympic Winter Games before an athletic injury ended his skiing career. While attending Washington State College Mann married Pat Watson from Trail, B.C. In 1951 Mann transferred to the University of Oregon’s School of Architecture on a foreign student scholarship and obtained his Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1954. During his studies in Oregon, Mann worked for a month as a designer and draftsman for Buckminster Fuller, assisting with a prototype structure at Eugene, OR. In 1954 Mann served as a research architect with McMillan & Bloedel and in 1955 he served as an architectural engineer with Western Consulting Ltd. From 1955 to 1963 he worked as a project architect and chief draftsman with Mercer & Mercer Architects in Vancouver. From 1960 to 1963 he served as chief architect on the Killarney Community Centre in Vancouver for Mercer & Mercer. In 1963 he started his private practice, Henry Mann Architect, in North Vancouver. Between 1963 and 1969 Mann’s private practice grew to consist of five office staff and a twelve person construction firm. The construction firm, which he started with his father in 1965, eventually merged to include John Senac, becoming Senac and Mann, in 1967. The construction side of the business carried out custom builds for projects designed by Mann’s architectural firm. During this time Mann designed around 60 projects and built around 25 projects, including his own residence in North Vancouver (1958), his office (Architect’s Floating Office in Coal’s Harbour, Vancouver), the Eijgel residence (1968), the Jankola residence (1967), the Ralph residence (1968), the Clark residence (1969), the Ozard residence (1969), the Laura Lynn Riding and Country Club, the Engineers’ Club in Vancouver (1964), a number of other major projects, as well as feasibility and design studies for Arbutus Point Resorts and the Mountain Village Ski Resort in Rossland, B.C. Mann’s Eijgel residence was nominated for a Massey Award in Architecture and selected as one of the top 100 buildings in Canada by the Massey Foundation in 1969. From 1966 to 1967 and 1970 Mann was a part-time lecturer at the University of British Columbia’s School of Architecture. In 1964 he served as chair of the Architectural Institute of B.C.’s communication committee. In 1969 Mann decided to restrict the size of his practice and the following year dissolved his partnership with Senac and moved to the Tantualus Mountains near Squamish, B.C., with his wife Elizabeth (Hillmer) and stepson Eric. In 1973 Mann purchased ranch land near Oliver, B.C., and built the McCuddy Creek Ranch, which over the following years grew to 50,000 acres and a purebred herd of 250 Mann Polled Charolais cattle. As a rancher during the 1970s and 1980s, Mann garnered numerous awards and records for his Charolais breeding program. In 1997 Mann sold the herd and ranch property with the exception of his residence, Manndala, and returned to architecture. Over the following eighteen years, Mann designed numerous award winning projects including the Nightowl residence (2003), Dunira Lodge (2005), Allard residence Chestermere (2004), Allard residence Salt Spring (2012), Posts Standing (2001), Salix Straw Bale House (2004), Totems (2005), and Quietude (1999). Mann’s designs are characterized by a philosophical combination of the spiritual and the physical which is reflected in his building’s structural integrity, sustainability and natural materials, and respect for the needs of the client and for the site. Mann was married in 2014 to Denise Franklin, his partner of 20 years. He was the father to stepsons Eric Hillmer-Mann and Kym Franklin and stepdaughters Theresa Slater and Cindy Bahm. Mann died on 2 April 2015 in Oliver, B.C.
Edward Lyon, 1826-1905, was born in Chestershire, England. He married Alice Ashton and they had three daughters and one son, Ashton Edward, 1865-1916. Ashton had a mental disability and his family placed him on a farm south of Moosomin, Saskatchewan in the 1880s. Edward travelled to Canada in 1884 to find a more suitable place for Ashton. He took his son back to England to visit the family, and in 1887 returned to Canada to settle Ashton with the Duncan Pierce family near Moosomin. On this trip, Edward travelled to Vancouver before returning to England.
Robert Hay Carnie was born in Dundee Scotland. He graduated from the Morgan Academy in Dundee in 1946 and later attended the University of St. Andrews, receiving an MA in English and Philosophy (1950) and a PhD in English literature (1954). Carnie taught at Bedford College, London, Queens College at the University of St. Andrews, the University of Ife in Nigeria, the University of Dundee before moving to Calgary, Alberta. He taught at the University of Calgary for 20 years from 1968-1988 and also served for 9 years as Secretary of the General Faculties Council.