Affichage de 647 résultatsNotice d'autorité
Led by the Vice-President (Development), the Development Office is responsible for fundraising on behalf of the University. The Development Office solicits donations from the community to assist with the University's educational programs, research, scholarship, and creative activity, coordinates and manages these gifts, reports back to donors, and says thank you in a variety of ways.
Formerly, the Development Office reported to the Executive Director, External Relations through the Office of Community Relations. About 2002, it began reporting to the Vice-President (Development).
The University General Counsel advises on the legal issues at the University of Calgary. This includes such things as procedures governing student discipline, recommendations that are not consistent with the provisions of the Universities Act, appropriate wording for policies and procedures, and statements in publications that are contrary to Human Rights. Also known as University Legal Services and University Legal Counsel.
The Campus Planning Office was in existence by the mid-late 1990s. It has prime responsibility for the assignment of space, and (working with colleagues across campus) shares responsibility for the inventory, utilization and evaluation of academic and administrative facilities at University of Calgary-owned and occupied sites. Most of what Campus Planning does is related to infrastructure projects.
Campus Planning reports to the Deputy-Provost as part of the Vice-President (Academic)/Provost's portfolio. The unit is closely associated with the Office of Institutional Analysis to ensure that planning and reporting activities remain driven by the university's goals.
Campus Planning also works closely with the Vice-President (Facilities Management and Development) portfolio. CP's accountability for the allocation of space on campus is intimately tied to both Facilities Management (which operates and maintains existing infrastructure) and Facilities Development (which steers the re-development and construction of new spaces).
The Office of Institutional Research was established in November 1969 following the Report of the President, Review of Administrative Structures and Functions published in that year. Lead by a Director who reported to the President, the Office provided statistical data, information, reports and analyses to the President and the University Policy Committees upon request. It was considered vital to the University in ensuring the punctual provision and analysis of data essential to the development and execution of policy. In 1982, the name of the office was changed to Office of Institutional Analysis, or OIA, and it moved administratively to the Vice-President (Academic) area. In the 1980s, responsibility for OIA was transferred to the Vice-President (Priorities and Planning) area. By July 1989, OIA was again under VP (Academic) and Provost, but the reporting relationship shifted to the Vice-President (Finance and Services) in 1994. By 1991, the Office's role had been expanded to include the development of management tools and techniques with University administrative application. The Director of OIA is a non-voting resource member of the University Planning Committee. In 2002, OIA's reporting relationship shifted once again from the Vice-President (Finance and Service) to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic).
Directors of the Office of Institutional Analysis: B.S. Sheehan, 1971-1980; S. Braun, 1981 (Acting Director); E.A. Hillman, 1981-1984; Shepard Braun, 1984-2002; Doug Shale, 2002-xx; xxx; Jodi Magee, pre-2015-.
The University Registrar's Office is led by the Registrar who reports to the Vice-President (Academic). The Registrar directs and supervises the Office which is responsible for admissions, registration, class scheduling, room allocation, transcripts and records, and exams. The Registrar forms and executes the Office's budget and implements and administers the University admissions policy as established by the General Faculties Council. He or she is responsible for the academic aspects of convocations, for the preparation and publication of the official University Calendar, and is a member of Deans' Council, an ex officio member of the Committee on Admissions and Transferrability, and Executive Secretary of the Curriculum and Academic Review Committee.
In The University of Calgary's early years, the Registrar reported to the President. The Registrar, which was provided for by statute, was Secretary of the GFC and its Executive Committee, a responsibility later taken over by the Secretary of the GFC. The Registrar was responsible for admitting students to undergraduate faculties and schools; composing instruction brochures for new applicants; coordinating and editing the calendar text submitted by faculties; designing and implementing a registration and class sectioning system; assessing fees and adjustments of fees; maintaining permanent student records and issuing transcripts; scheduling, providing space for and invigilating exams; reproducing and distributing exam papers; collecting and retaining papers after grading; issuing official marks; and collecting and maintaining current information on admissions, curriculum, and degrees to assist policy development.
In 1970 or 1971 the title of the Registrar was changed to Registrar and Academic Secretary to reflect an addition of responsibility as Secretary to the Policy Committees, Joint Policy Committee, President's Executive Advisory Committee, GFC, Executive Committee of GFC, Deans' Council, and the Senate. This involved preparing, circulating and maintaining minutes and other records, and conducting correspondence. The functions as Registrar remained the same. The reporting relationship of the Registrar and Academic Secretary was transferred from the President to the VP (Academic) in 1973 or 1974, apparently because the office of Academic Secretary was not identified by statute and the secretaries for the various Policy Committees could be provided by the VP's offices. By 1978 the title of the Registrar and Academic Secretary had been changed simply to Registrar. The functions of the Registrar's Office have remained essentially the same since that time.
Incumbents have been: John Nicol (1963-1964), Donald Black (1967-1968), W.F.M. Stewart (1969-1974), Gary Krivy (1987-2002), David Johnston (2002-2014), Angelique Saweczko (2014-).
Campus Security works closely with the university community, Calgary Police Service and other agencies to maintain the University of Calgary as a pleasant place to live, work and study. Uniformed Campus Security officers are on duty 24 hours a day-year round to respond to security needs and emergency situations. The office also presents informative lectures on personal security and robbery prevention, offers security audits for offices and labs, and supports the student-run volunteer program Safewalk.
The Canadian Department of Militia and Defence was created in 1868 through the Militia Act. It oversaw Canada's military activity until 1922 when it was absorbed the new department of National Defence.
The firm of Beatson Finlayson and Partners was established in 1957 by Gilbert Beatson under the name Gilbert R. Beatson Architect (Calgary). In 1971, after various partnership changes, it became known as Beatson Finlayson and Partners (Calgary). The principal of the firm was Gilbert Beatson, with Arthur J. Finlayson becoming a partner in 1974, Alastair J. Howatt joining Beatson Finlayson in 1975, and Renato Y. Arcega joining Beatson Finlayson and Partner in 1976.
Significant projects include: McPherson Park Swimming Pool, Burnaby, BC; Jasper Place Sport Centre; Red Deer Recreation Park, Red Deer, AB; Inuvik Corporation Housing, N.W.T.; Western Canada Pavilion, Expo '67; Selkirk Civic Centre, MAN.
The firm of Cohos Evamy & Partners was established in 1959 by Martin Cohos and Michael Evamy. It provides professional services in architecture, urban and municipal planning, interior design and engineering. Although the majority of projects cover the Calgary and Southern Alberta region, the firm has also designed buildings of educational, recreational, institutional and commercial categories in other parts of Canada.
Architectural firm founded in Calgary, Alberta in July 1955 by Albert Dale. In 1974 the firm of A. Dale & Associates merged with that of Chandler/Kennedy Architects and became known as the DCK Partnership. In the year of the merger with A. Dale & Associates, the new firm opened a second office in Edmonton. Three years later, Alberta Dale retired and the firm changed its name to the Chandler/Kennedy Architectural Group in order to emphasize the team nature of contemporary practice. In 1978, the partnership expanded still further by opening an office in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and an agency in Vancouver, BC. An increasing number of commissions abroad necessitated the creation of a subsidiary, the Chandler/Kennedy Architectural Group - International, and two further offices were opened: London, England, and Dubai, UAE. From the beginning, the firm has extended its activities beyond individual building projects to include various planning studies for small towns, colleges, commercial and office complexes as well as major developments of high and low density land uses.